-
-
Senior Member
registered user
open a konsole and become root, change to the rc5.d directory, locate the ypbind link, delete it, exit out of root mode :
su -
cd /etc/rc5.d
ls S*yp*
rm S*yp*
exit
-

Originally Posted by
UnderScore
open a konsole and become root, change to the rc5.d directory, locate the ypbind link, delete it, exit out of root mode :
su -
cd /etc/rc5.d
ls S*yp*
rm S*yp*
exit
I too have been plagued with the dreaded ypbind. I found in Kpackage that this “programâ€? is a part of the NIS package.
Question – If I “un-installâ€? the NIS package, will the ypbind problem go away?
Also – by un-installing NIS, what other functions will quit working?
I have a small (four computer) family NET using P2P either net communications. Will this be adversely affected? Will I lose my DHL connectivity if i un-install the NIS package?
Thanks in advance
GMD
-
Senior Member
registered user
You may remove NIS/ypbindwithout any problems & will not negatively impact your systems. Typically NIS is used to create a network of computers whereby you can log into and PC and get the same settings/files/desktop from any computer. This would be the same as a roaming profile in the Windows domain.
James
-
Thanks James
Now off to bed, it's past your bed time... 
GMD
-
Senior Member
registered user
I just ran into this problem on my 3.7 KNOPPIX hdinstalled box. I did an apt-get update and upgrade and now this ypbind is taking all day to set up a yp server. I went into /etc/rc.d but found no file related to yp services to delete....
Please help!
TIA,
AJG
-
If you don't mind the ypbind running, and might have a yp server
at some times, as I do, I suggest you just comment out "bind_wait"
in /etc/init.d/nis.
--Fred
-
Senior Member
registered user
I just did
update-rc.d ypbind remove
Thanx,
AJG
Similar Threads
-
By BlotCoo in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-03-2006, 05:54 AM
-
By jkpalmer52 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-02-2005, 02:18 AM
-
By samwhich in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-06-2004, 03:05 AM
-
By Bob_Ullet in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-01-2003, 03:06 AM
-
By artblanc in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 03-25-2003, 08:57 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99

Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare
$179.00

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare
$380.00

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A
$22.67

Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller
$499.99