open a konsole and become root, change to the rc5.d directory, locate the ypbind link, delete it, exit out of root mode :
su -
cd /etc/rc5.d
ls S*yp*
rm S*yp*
exit
now after upgrading updating and all i have run into problems in booting
a YP binding keeps on going binding ...............
after some 10 minutes of binding the boot![]()
ing happens and goes well
what do i uninstall to avoid this binding business!!!
thanks for a reply
ramaswamy![]()
![]()
![]()
open a konsole and become root, change to the rc5.d directory, locate the ypbind link, delete it, exit out of root mode :
su -
cd /etc/rc5.d
ls S*yp*
rm S*yp*
exit
I too have been plagued with the dreaded ypbind. I found in Kpackage that this “programâ€? is a part of the NIS package.Originally Posted by UnderScore
Question – If I “un-installâ€? the NIS package, will the ypbind problem go away?
Also – by un-installing NIS, what other functions will quit working?
I have a small (four computer) family NET using P2P either net communications. Will this be adversely affected? Will I lose my DHL connectivity if i un-install the NIS package?
Thanks in advance
GMD
You may remove NIS/ypbindwithout any problems & will not negatively impact your systems. Typically NIS is used to create a network of computers whereby you can log into and PC and get the same settings/files/desktop from any computer. This would be the same as a roaming profile in the Windows domain.
James
Thanks James
Now off to bed, it's past your bed time...
GMD
I just ran into this problem on my 3.7 KNOPPIX hdinstalled box. I did an apt-get update and upgrade and now this ypbind is taking all day to set up a yp server. I went into /etc/rc.d but found no file related to yp services to delete....
Please help!
TIA,
AJG
If you don't mind the ypbind running, and might have a yp server
at some times, as I do, I suggest you just comment out "bind_wait"
in /etc/init.d/nis.
--Fred
I just did
update-rc.d ypbind remove
Thanx,
AJG

Dell PERC H755 3KDWX 8GB 12Gb SAS RAID Controller With Battery & Cables
$949.99
Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99
EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
G-Technology G-RAID 24TB Dual-Drive External HDD TB3 USB 3.1 7200RPM Silver
$299.99
MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.19
AMS VENUS T5C Mini DS-2250C 5-Bay 2.5” SATA RAID USB 3.0 eSATA
$129.99
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00