-
Senior Member
registered user
Gazelle,
There is just as much performance gain with bootfrom as there is with fromhd. After the initial stuff is got from the CD it then boots the main file from the hard drive. Of course, there is perfomance gain during usage as well because things come off the hard drive faster than the CD. You still have the decompression routines to do but that is all.
It would be nice if you tried your cut down CD to boot a cloop file from the hard drive and see if it works. I appreciate getting the cloop file on the hard drive in the first place may be a bit difficult if the CD will not copy - may need a 1GB Flash drive or external drive ...
If using bootfrom with the .iso file DOES work with XP I wonder if the original reason for your problem was because the .iso file was in the wrong directory. Stick it in a c:\KNOPPIX directory and use cheatcode bootfrom=/dev/hda1. I did not suggest this before because I wanted to provide information I know works. I am not sure about this.
Other reasons for freeing the CD drive. It makes a noise when it is revolving!
Really I don't want to use the CD Drive at all but as I said previously I don't have the access rights to create a Poor Man's Install so I have to boot from the CD. I use bootfrom rather than fromhd because that is all that works (on NT at least).
ICPUG
Similar Threads
-
By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-27-2006, 06:20 AM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 07:36 PM
-
By xaviers2002 in forum Klik
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-01-2004, 02:34 AM
-
By Alexxx in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 08:02 PM
-
By brian03 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-13-2003, 07:52 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$12.99

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day
$188.24

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set
$58.00

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB
$350.00

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00