Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: System Recovery of failed machine XP get Accessed denied

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2

    System Recovery of failed machine XP get Accessed denied

    I am trying to recover some files from my failed laptop (XP) using KNoppix 3.7 I am able to read the files on the local machine. I connected to a machine share W2k with full permission. I was planning on saving my files to the W2k Share. I mounted the share can view the share, but can't copy files from my xp machine to the share I get access denied cannot create target dir. I feel like I'm so close, but no cigar.

    Does anyone know what I am missing, I think there is something I need to do on the Knoppix (XP) machine to allow writing to the mount point

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    you could just run a ftp server on another windows machine and use konq to send the files.

    thats the easyest way. netbios doesnt allways go 100% correctly even when all the machines are windows.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2
    how do you use Kong?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    KONQ not kong

    konquoure is the default kde web / ftp / smb / etc browser

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    7
    What does your fstab say (with hda1 mounted)?

    I can't answer specifically for NTFS partitions, but partitions are mounted read only on purpose. In order to write to a partition, you need to unmount it, then remount it so its writeable.

    umount hda1 should unmount it.

    First, make sure you have everything closed that was accessing the partition. If you have konqueror open, for example, and were browsing the partition, you'll get an error message that says that the partition can't be unmounted, its in use. Close konqueror (or just the tab that you were browsing the partition with), and you should then be able to unmount. If you still can't unmount, type:
    fuser -m /dev/hda1

    and that will tell you the process numbers of the applications that are still using the partition. If there aren't any, then try typing:

    umount -l hda1

    and that should work in a just a couple of seconds.

    Once the partition is unmounted, then you mount it, with the writeable flag,

    mount -o rw hda1
    or
    mount -w hda1

    may work, or

    mount -w -t ntfs hda1

    may work.

    After trying one of the above, you may be able to write to the partition only while logged on as root. If that is the case, then you need to change the uid, gid, and umask settings in fstab. You can google for the correct settings if that is the case. And if this is the case, your partition is correctly mounted as writeable, you just need to change permissions as indicated in the previous sentence.

    I don't have any ntfs partitions, so the above is without warranty, and I'm not responsible if you damage your system. You should wait for someone else to post their solution, as I know there are issues with writing to ntfs (it wasn't even possible in earlier versions of knoppix, or any earlier Linux distros). Always backup first.

    Also look at man mount, man unmount. Also, if there are other users on the system, it is possible to change the flag to writeable on a partition without unmounting it, man mount should have that info, I don't know how reliable/safe it is to do so.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2007, 07:23 PM
  2. isolinux: Failed to locate CD-ROM device; boot failed.
    By markley in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-07-2006, 03:33 AM
  3. Samba share to be accessed by "My Network Places"
    By kurtz25 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2004, 05:32 AM
  4. System recovery with Knoppix
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 10:27 PM
  5. knoppix create system recovery CDs?
    By dnewcomb in forum Ideas
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-31-2003, 08:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard picture

MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99