-
Hi mr_ed
Thank you for the reply! I was able to set my fstab the way I liked it, and now I understand better how knoppix boots. But I found in the same file, on line 486:
Code:
# / must be rw in any case, starting from here
mount -o remount,rw / 2>/dev/null
so it remounts root as rw anyway. Back to square #1, I booted again from CD, and found that it creates a 2mb root partition on "/dev/root", then fills it with a default filesystem full of symlinks to the CD. It's great! All the binaries are run from the CD image, but / is still a writable partition for temporary files.
Now I'm stuck though. Where does it get /dev/root from? And what populates it with the filesystem full of symlinks? I suspect the answer lies in a pivitroot call, but I don't know much about pivitroot, or where it's called from. I didn't find any hints in the knoppix-autoconf script.
Basically, I want to be able to do this same thing when booting from the hard drive: mount the hard drive as read-only, then create a root mountpoint that contains this same default filesystem as when booting from the CD. Then I would have a temporary root filesystem that could be trashed and thrown away, and start over when the box is rebooted.
Are there any hints for where I should look to accomplish this?
Thanks all!
Al
Similar Threads
-
By abby in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-11-2007, 09:56 AM
-
By pyromaniac in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-02-2006, 08:26 PM
-
By rossi in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-06-2005, 09:24 PM
-
By mallyone in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 10:46 PM
-
By rex in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-25-2004, 04:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari 400 / 800 Computer Memory Module 16K RAM PCB CX853 - Works Perfectly
$18.95

Vintage 1984: Super Sketch G2300 For Atari Home Computer
$72.00

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats
$35.00

Vintage Atari 1050 Disk Drive w/ SIO Cable & 32 Games/Programs - UNTESTED
$67.76

Vintage THE HOME MANAGER Atari 400,800/XL/XE on Disk NEW IN SEALED BOX
$850.00

Atari 1200 XL home computer with original owners guide and power supply power on
$255.00

Atari 800XL 8-bit Home Computer System w/ AC Adap - Powers On -UNTESTED
$84.99

Atari 400 Home Computer System includes Power Cord G2U
$159.99

Atari 850 Interface Module For ATARI 400/800 Computer Vintage Tested
$50.00