Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Help required for conexant modem

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    3

    Help required for conexant modem

    I have downloaded the drivers from linmodems.org for my modem and i am unsure if they are going to work or not. It says that "To use these generic packages, kernel-source and the gcc C compiler must be properly installed on your system since no pre-built module binaries are included in them" now can anyone tell me if the kernel source and compilers are in knoppix after a HDD install?

    Also any tips on getting the modem to work that dont say "get a new modem"

    Thanks

    Chris Lewis

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    the compilers are there, but the kernel ource is missing. Worse yet, it's not a standard kernele and itn's not available for download. If you are reasonably proficient, you should be able to mae your own kernel starting with the 2.4.20 standard kernel and applying several patches. Just do a search here for "kernel source" and you will find directions.

    You will also find several posts of mine begging for kernel source because I was never able to build a good kernel. If you're wondering, i'm still without kernel and I'm switching to mandrake because it uses a standard kernel.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Unfortunately, that is the approach for Linux. Want something that works on your hardware, get XP. Want something works with Linux(and those wonderful software), get Linux friendly hardware.

    Also any tips on getting the modem to work that dont say "get a new modem"

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I got a tip for you- get a new....nah just kidding. Actually these are reported to be some fairly good how-to's. I don't use a modem myself so I can't vouch for them.

    http://www.wellmodem.com.tw/support/...owto.html#toc2

    http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...nux-HOWTO.html

    This is specifically about Conexant modems:
    http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Cone...roduction.html

    gluck

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    I will actualy say it. Get a new modem. I know what you're thinking, but it's worth it. I finaly caved and bought an external modem and it was so mind bogilingly easy to set up that I will never go back. It was even easier to set up on my windows boot. You can get a good external that connects via serial for $50.00 and if you hit a good sale, you might find one for half of that. I found a $60 creative labs external that was $10.00 off for open packege with another $10 off for mail in rebate brining the final price to $40. And that was the first store I went to.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb
    Get a new modem.
    Really not an option with a notebook...

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by probono
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb
    Get a new modem.
    Really not an option with a notebook...
    You couldn't use an external modem with a notebook?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    177
    i guess you could, but I can see not wanting to. There is yet another alternative. I'm pretty sure I saw a hardware controlled PCMCIA modem on the boards someware. That way all you have to configure is the COM port, a wierd one I'm sure and then dial up with kPPP.

Similar Threads

  1. Conexant HCF Modem
    By dephrak in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:34 AM
  2. Re: Conexant SoftK56 PCI Modem Drivers
    By Redux in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 07:53 AM
  3. ADSL conexant USB modem - HELP !!
    By hairyboglin in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 12:34 AM
  4. Conexant Modem - Please Help
    By zmiscikoski in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-16-2003, 08:07 AM
  5. Conexant Modems - Help required
    By Chris_Lewis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-07-2003, 11:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$14.86



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99