-
Help required for conexant modem
I have downloaded the drivers from linmodems.org for my modem and i am unsure if they are going to work or not. It says that "To use these generic packages, kernel-source and the gcc C compiler must be properly installed on your system since no pre-built module binaries are included in them" now can anyone tell me if the kernel source and compilers are in knoppix after a HDD install?
Also any tips on getting the modem to work that dont say "get a new modem"
Thanks
Chris Lewis
-
Senior Member
registered user
the compilers are there, but the kernel ource is missing. Worse yet, it's not a standard kernele and itn's not available for download. If you are reasonably proficient, you should be able to mae your own kernel starting with the 2.4.20 standard kernel and applying several patches. Just do a search here for "kernel source" and you will find directions.
You will also find several posts of mine begging for kernel source because I was never able to build a good kernel. If you're wondering, i'm still without kernel and I'm switching to mandrake because it uses a standard kernel.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Unfortunately, that is the approach for Linux. Want something that works on your hardware, get XP. Want something works with Linux(and those wonderful software), get Linux friendly hardware.
Also any tips on getting the modem to work that dont say "get a new modem"
-
Senior Member
registered user
I got a tip for you- get a new....nah just kidding. Actually these are reported to be some fairly good how-to's. I don't use a modem myself so I can't vouch for them.
http://www.wellmodem.com.tw/support/...owto.html#toc2
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/doc...nux-HOWTO.html
This is specifically about Conexant modems:
http://www.linuxdocs.org/HOWTOs/Cone...roduction.html
gluck
-
Senior Member
registered user
I will actualy say it. Get a new modem. I know what you're thinking, but it's worth it. I finaly caved and bought an external modem and it was so mind bogilingly easy to set up that I will never go back. It was even easier to set up on my windows boot. You can get a good external that connects via serial for $50.00 and if you hit a good sale, you might find one for half of that. I found a $60 creative labs external that was $10.00 off for open packege with another $10 off for mail in rebate brining the final price to $40. And that was the first store I went to.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
VeeDubb
Get a new modem.
Really not an option with a notebook...
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
probono

Originally Posted by
VeeDubb
Get a new modem.
Really not an option with a notebook...
You couldn't use an external modem with a notebook?
-
Senior Member
registered user
i guess you could, but I can see not wanting to. There is yet another alternative. I'm pretty sure I saw a hardware controlled PCMCIA modem on the boards someware. That way all you have to configure is the COM port, a wierd one I'm sure and then dial up with kPPP.
Similar Threads
-
By dephrak in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-12-2004, 08:34 AM
-
By Redux in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 07:53 AM
-
By hairyboglin in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-24-2004, 12:34 AM
-
By zmiscikoski in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 07-16-2003, 08:07 AM
-
By Chris_Lewis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-07-2003, 11:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

DELL PRECISION TOWER 5810 XEON E5-1620 v3 3.5GHz 4GB RAM Quadro K2200 NO HDD/OS
$139.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU
$7.95

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon X5690 3.46GHz 6.4GT/s 12MB 6-core 1333MHz SLBVX processor
$28.00

Dell Precision T7820 Dual Xeon 4214R 48GB RAM 512GB + 1TB Quadro P400 Win 11
$699.00

HP Z440 Workstation TWR Xeon E5-1603 v3, 8GB RAM, NVS310, SB1570, NO SSD/OS #95
$89.99