Quote Originally Posted by Racer88
I am using Knoppix to recover some files from a hard drive that wont boot. The drive has Windows XP and was set with NTFS partition. I have run the Recovery Console from Windows XP disk and then use the fixboot and fixmbr command. Neither of those fixed the boot problem. I was going to use Knoppix to copy all my files that I need to keep to a cdr, but Knoppix says that it can't mount the drive, therefore I cant retrieve my files.

Does any one have any ideas about what I need to do?

Thanks
Racer88
Knoppix can frequently mount drives even when Windows refuses to do so. But there can't be a gaurantee that Knoppix can mount a partition that Windows has completely ruined. It sounds like in this case your partition is so far gone that Linux/Knoppix can't read it.

There is still one small chance that might help, but don't get your hopes up. Linux has a command called gpart that will look at a drive and try to figure out where the partitions were. In some but not all cases it can recover partitions and let you have access to your files. See the man pages for gpart for details. Good luck.