the static might be a result of you having IEC958 and/or Mic unmuted, my guess is the first.
try muting that, it is a "comon" error.
First of all, I've installed Knoppix 3.7 onto my hard drive (beginner) and am using the 3.6 kernel. I have AC '97 onboard sound.
Ok, here's what I get when I boot up:
Informational-artsmessage
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
I hear static in my speakers, but if I do play startup.ogg from the command line, I can barely hear it. Same goes if I open up XMMS and play KDE chimes, I can barely hear it behind all of the static.
Here's what I've done:
In Control Center - Sound System I enabled the sound system and selected ALSA as the device.
I made sure noting was muted in aumix.
I opened up wmXMMS and increased the volume, so I can hear the sound more loudly from behind the static.
added ALSA=Intel8x10 in lilo.conf
changed everything to "true" in /home/(username)/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc
did adduser username audio
Why all of the static? I can hear sounds if I play them, but nothing otherwise (system sounds, notifications, etc.)
the static might be a result of you having IEC958 and/or Mic unmuted, my guess is the first.
try muting that, it is a "comon" error.
Thanks for the reply - I found that if I mute "Line in" in aumix and kmix, the static goes away. Now I hear the system sounds no problem. What is IEC958? - I couldn't find it anywhere to mute. I have muted Microphone too, but unmuted it doesn't cause static.

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00