-
Junior Member
registered user
Trying to get sound to work (AAAARRRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!)
First of all, I've installed Knoppix 3.7 onto my hard drive (beginner) and am using the 3.6 kernel. I have AC '97 onboard sound.
Ok, here's what I get when I boot up:
Informational-artsmessage
Sound server informational message:
Error while initializing the sound driver:
device: default can't be opened for playback (No such device)
The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
I hear static in my speakers, but if I do play startup.ogg from the command line, I can barely hear it. Same goes if I open up XMMS and play KDE chimes, I can barely hear it behind all of the static.
Here's what I've done:
In Control Center - Sound System I enabled the sound system and selected ALSA as the device.
I made sure noting was muted in aumix.
I opened up wmXMMS and increased the volume, so I can hear the sound more loudly from behind the static.
added ALSA=Intel8x10 in lilo.conf
changed everything to "true" in /home/(username)/.kde/share/config/knotifyrc
did adduser username audio
Why all of the static? I can hear sounds if I play them, but nothing otherwise (system sounds, notifications, etc.)
Similar Threads
-
By firekatd in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-29-2006, 06:01 PM
-
By ssj2kite in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-24-2005, 08:46 AM
-
By rchinnock88 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-10-2004, 06:16 PM
-
By b_rimes in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 07-04-2004, 02:57 PM
-
By Chris Lee in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-22-2004, 12:20 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$240.00

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G Catalyst 3850 2 x 10GE Network Module
$30.00

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Catalyst C9120AXI-B Wi-Fi 6 Access Points
$30.00