-
Junior Member
registered user
kde 3.1 and libc6
Why is it that if you try to install kreatecd, kdegames, etc., that kde 3.1 gets removed? It seems to be related to a libc6 incompatability, and this is something I don't quite understand. Have these programs not been compiled and added to the debian mirrors with the updated libraries? Does anyone know how to fix this, or should I just wait for the debian maintainers to fix it in the mirrors? I can live w/o the programs, but I am partial to some of them.
I've been trying to understand this problem for a while, and I've noticed it in other distros as well (libranet 2.0 - it doesn't seem to matter whether libranet is upgraded to sid or to woody using the kde 3.1 port from www.apt-get.org). I've googled and searched many different forums and I can't seem to find anyone else talking about this problem.
Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. If that's the case, please correct me.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
btw i've installed knoppix 3.2 to hard disk.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Why is it that if you try to install kreatecd, kdegames, etc., that kde 3.1 gets removed?
If kde 3.1 is getting removed or apt-get wants to remove it to install the packages you have mentioned that means that the packages are available for a previous version of kde, they are not available for kde 3.1 (from your sources list). On my libranet 2.0 system (stable kde 3.1.1) kdegames is available, but kreatecd is only available for kde 2.2.
rock
-
Junior Member
registered user
interesting.
I assumed (incorrectly) that when programs were created for k (w/kdevelop, qt or kylix) that they would run on any version of k, so long as a library installed was at least the same or newer than what it needed. That doesn't seem to be true.
I did some more poking after your reply (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/kreatecd.html) and it's starting to make some sense. Although it does include the package for kreatecd in unstable, it doesn't include the kdelibs3 package (found in kde 2.x) that it depends upon (for which you need libc6). Maybe all programs for kde 3.1 have to be rebuilt with kdelibs4 in order to run. It still seems wierd to me, but I guess that's just how it is.
I suppose the only danger would be having links to unstable and stable or testing in the sources.list file (like it's configured in knoppix) and then running synaptic (it didn't notify me of the incompatabilities until it was already removing kdebase, whereas apt-get install kdebase will tell you you're going to screw something up if you continue). I wonder how many more of these programs are out there and what's going on with them. For now, I'll just be happy with what I've got - in the meantime I'll give kdegames another try, and I think I like k3b better...
Thanks for the reply,
soap
-
Senior Member
registered user
Kde is such a complicated "mess" that everything has to be of the same version, ie: if you install quanta which is now quanta 3.1.1 you will have to have all of kde upgraded to 3.1.1. Don't get me wrong I like kde, but dealing with kde upgrades using apt-get can be quite an ordeal, especially the first few times you do them.
rock
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++
$169.00

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers
$300.00

Apple IIe Vintage Computer A2S2064 Powers On Apple II Untested For Parts/repair
$149.99

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981
$295.00

VINTAGE APPLE COMPUTER MONITOR Mdl# G090H w/Stand Jun1984 POWERS ON*REPAIR*B4100
$110.00

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed
$69.95

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED
$80.00

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS
$7.00

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2
$109.99

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681
$299.99