Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: kde 3.1 and libc6

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    16

    kde 3.1 and libc6

    Why is it that if you try to install kreatecd, kdegames, etc., that kde 3.1 gets removed? It seems to be related to a libc6 incompatability, and this is something I don't quite understand. Have these programs not been compiled and added to the debian mirrors with the updated libraries? Does anyone know how to fix this, or should I just wait for the debian maintainers to fix it in the mirrors? I can live w/o the programs, but I am partial to some of them.

    I've been trying to understand this problem for a while, and I've noticed it in other distros as well (libranet 2.0 - it doesn't seem to matter whether libranet is upgraded to sid or to woody using the kde 3.1 port from www.apt-get.org). I've googled and searched many different forums and I can't seem to find anyone else talking about this problem.

    Maybe I'm just doing something wrong. If that's the case, please correct me.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

    btw i've installed knoppix 3.2 to hard disk.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Why is it that if you try to install kreatecd, kdegames, etc., that kde 3.1 gets removed?
    If kde 3.1 is getting removed or apt-get wants to remove it to install the packages you have mentioned that means that the packages are available for a previous version of kde, they are not available for kde 3.1 (from your sources list). On my libranet 2.0 system (stable kde 3.1.1) kdegames is available, but kreatecd is only available for kde 2.2.

    rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Posts
    16
    interesting.

    I assumed (incorrectly) that when programs were created for k (w/kdevelop, qt or kylix) that they would run on any version of k, so long as a library installed was at least the same or newer than what it needed. That doesn't seem to be true.

    I did some more poking after your reply (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/kreatecd.html) and it's starting to make some sense. Although it does include the package for kreatecd in unstable, it doesn't include the kdelibs3 package (found in kde 2.x) that it depends upon (for which you need libc6). Maybe all programs for kde 3.1 have to be rebuilt with kdelibs4 in order to run. It still seems wierd to me, but I guess that's just how it is.

    I suppose the only danger would be having links to unstable and stable or testing in the sources.list file (like it's configured in knoppix) and then running synaptic (it didn't notify me of the incompatabilities until it was already removing kdebase, whereas apt-get install kdebase will tell you you're going to screw something up if you continue). I wonder how many more of these programs are out there and what's going on with them. For now, I'll just be happy with what I've got - in the meantime I'll give kdegames another try, and I think I like k3b better...

    Thanks for the reply,

    soap

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Kde is such a complicated "mess" that everything has to be of the same version, ie: if you install quanta which is now quanta 3.1.1 you will have to have all of kde upgraded to 3.1.1. Don't get me wrong I like kde, but dealing with kde upgrades using apt-get can be quite an ordeal, especially the first few times you do them.

    rock

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts

$59.99



Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal picture

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal

$150.00



Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board picture

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board

$109.99



Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012 picture

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012

$74.99



DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer picture

DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer

$649.95



Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation picture

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation

$79.95



Rare Vintage DEC DIGITAL DFO3 modem ~Powers Up but UNTESTED #1 picture

Rare Vintage DEC DIGITAL DFO3 modem ~Powers Up but UNTESTED #1

$75.00



Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard picture

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard

$149.99



Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7) picture

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)

$279.99



Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW picture

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW

$269.99