Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: question to /home/knoppix and using Destop icons in kde

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2

    question to /home/knoppix and using Destop icons in kde

    I 've remaster a knoppix cd with simulation software, using
    the howto that i have found here in the forum. thanks ..
    Now i want to add an icon on the Kde destop.
    As far as i know, the icos for the user knoppix are located
    in /home/knoppix/Desktop/xxxx.deskop
    I've tried to copy the icon within /etc/profiles but this
    doesnt really work.

    Can you help me finding a more elegant way for this problem?

    At each boot process the /home/knoppix directory is created
    on the ramdisk. Where are the files located that are before
    the are copied to the ramdisk and when does is happen during
    the boot process?

    Thanks for all answers!

    Markus

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    All /home/knoppix data are kept in /etc/skel.

    For me, I do the following to customise Knoppix:
    1st I follow the remastring howto to add and delete packages.
    Then, I compress the remastered knoppix whithout making an iso.
    I boot into it and I install it on a free partition, let's call it hda6.
    Then I boot into that patrition and customise it to my liking.
    I reboot the system from a the original CD and copy /home/knoopix folder of the customised partition (hda6) to /etc/skel of the remastered knoppix. This will copy all my customisation to the remastered knoppix.
    Now, I am ready to compress it, create an ISO and burn. Install it and enjoy.

    For booting from the compressed file, look here:
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Remaster...Cleanup_Script

    However, you can create an iso and burn it on CD to use it to install the remastered system. But that is a waste of money because you going to trash it.

    I hope I am clear.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    126
    I keep my desktop icons in /etc/skel/Desktop
    owner knoppix, permissions 644
    Linked to these are shell script commands put in
    /usr/local/bin
    owner root, permissions 755
    To link Desktop icons to their shell scripts, under KDE right mouse-click on the icon in /etc/skel/Desktop and
    select properties, then select the execute tab and in the box under Command: type
    sudo /usr/local/bin/scriptname
    to allow the user to execute the script by clicking the Desktop icon.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2

    Thanks, that's excatly what i need!

    Thanks to knopx4me and markpreston for your helpfull support

    Markus[/list]

Similar Threads

  1. Another persistent /home question
    By harryhood in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2005, 04:48 PM
  2. Has anyone got some cool destop pictures???
    By chris-harry in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 03:23 AM
  3. where are the knoppix icons?
    By dobell in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2004, 06:37 PM
  4. Question about persistent home
    By arkaine23 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 07:51 PM
  5. persistent home icons annoyance
    By Joseph Schiller in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55



MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM picture

MICRON MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1 32GB PC4-21300R DDR4-2666V RDIMM 2RX4 MEMORY DIMM

$139.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot Of 10 16GB DDR4 Server Memory picture

Lot Of 10 16GB DDR4 Server Memory

$650.00



LOT OF 8 Micron 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 MTA36ASF2G72PZ SERVER MEMORY ECC picture

LOT OF 8 Micron 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 MTA36ASF2G72PZ SERVER MEMORY ECC

$500.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Lot Of 5 Samsung 16GB  2Rx4 PC3-14900R Server Memory RAM M393B2G70DB0, WORKING picture

Lot Of 5 Samsung 16GB 2Rx4 PC3-14900R Server Memory RAM M393B2G70DB0, WORKING

$69.99