Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Silencing bootup

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    20

    Silencing bootup

    Is there any way to silence the startup/shutdown sounds without remastering?

    I'm guessing I could kill the shutdown sounds ("Shutdown sequence initiated..." or whatever it is) by muting the audio once booted, but this doesn't help on bootup.

    I'm experimenting with Knoppix at work and "Startup sequence initiated", while cool-sounding, doesn't quite fit into a corporate environment An option to play a simple chime or other not-so-outlandish startup sound, or simply mute the sound would be nice.

    Worst comes to worst I'll clean up my laptop's HD and remaster with a "cleaner" sound tonight.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    18
    You could disable those sounds in KDE and make a floppy config disk (or a persistent home, which I haven't gotten a chance to try yet).

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by silvestrij
    You could disable those sounds in KDE and make a floppy config disk (or a persistent home, which I haven't gotten a chance to try yet).
    Thanks, I'll try that, I have a USB keychain storage adapter I just bought cheap ($20 after rebate) for use with Knoppix.

    Still, being able to do it without any extra media would be nice.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    Cool, what kind and size and where did you get it (link?)
    I've been keeping my eye out for one at a good price.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm
    Cool, what kind and size and where did you get it (link?)
    I've been keeping my eye out for one at a good price.
    Check your most recent OfficeMax circulars or walk into an OfficeMax. Lexar 64M.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix Bootup
    By jjmerrill in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 01:13 AM
  2. Bootup from CD rom Stalls ?
    By sham in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 01:42 PM
  3. Bootup Knoppix
    By Jaki in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-12-2004, 11:27 PM
  4. Bootup Display :-(
    By SS1337 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 08:43 AM
  5. Ugh, another bootup problem
    By funtownarcade in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2003, 11:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial 2.5

Crucial 2.5" 5210 ION 7.6TB SATA III 6Gbps SSD MTFDDAKT6QDE

$549.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$249.99



Samsung 860 PRO  2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health

$187.00