You could disable those sounds in KDE and make a floppy config disk (or a persistent home, which I haven't gotten a chance to try yet).
Is there any way to silence the startup/shutdown sounds without remastering?
I'm guessing I could kill the shutdown sounds ("Shutdown sequence initiated..." or whatever it is) by muting the audio once booted, but this doesn't help on bootup.
I'm experimenting with Knoppix at work and "Startup sequence initiated", while cool-sounding, doesn't quite fit into a corporate environment An option to play a simple chime or other not-so-outlandish startup sound, or simply mute the sound would be nice.
Worst comes to worst I'll clean up my laptop's HD and remaster with a "cleaner" sound tonight.
You could disable those sounds in KDE and make a floppy config disk (or a persistent home, which I haven't gotten a chance to try yet).
Thanks, I'll try that, I have a USB keychain storage adapter I just bought cheap ($20 after rebate) for use with Knoppix.Originally Posted by silvestrij
Still, being able to do it without any extra media would be nice.
Cool, what kind and size and where did you get it (link?)
I've been keeping my eye out for one at a good price.
Check your most recent OfficeMax circulars or walk into an OfficeMax. Lexar 64M.Originally Posted by adamm

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates
$36.00
Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503
$109.99
Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer
$2999.99
Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor
$70.00
Extron RGB-160XI Analog Computer Video 60-378-01
$127.06
Packard Bell ISA Sound Card AD1845XP Analog Devices SoundPort DOS Win95 Untested
$25.46
Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board
$24.99
Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable
$75.00
Atari Home Computer Software/Books/Manuals/Magazines Lot - Read desc for details
$95.00
Advanced Gravis Analog Controller Joystics For Tandy Computers complete in box
$90.98