-
Senior Member
registered user
Erratic system?
Erratic \Er*rat"ic\, a. [L. erraticus, fr. errare to wander: cf.
F. eErratic \Er*rat"ic\, a. [L. erraticus, fr. errare to wander: cf.
F. erratique. See Err.]
1. Having no certain course; roving about without a fixed
destination; wandering; moving; -- hence, applied to the
planets as distinguished from the fixed stars.
The earth and each erratic world. --Blackmore
Actually sometimes consistency is boring-I'm an artist
I have been playing with many linux distros for some years now.
Yesterday I wanted to use my scanner, which had been set up and working, but it wasn't even recognized. The "scanimage -L"
command just got me "no such command" in knoppix 3.5 kernel 2.4.26. I know that it did work because I have images I scanned
in my home folder. Trying to do an apt-get install sane was a big hassle because I needed to do an update (hours over a dial-up)
but it accomplished nothing. I have set up several scanners in linux and I'm fairly familar with sane. I just don't understand why the
system would be working and then not- no sane. I don't do upgrades or anything to change the system.
Note I'm in kanotix now and it recognizes the scanner. I don't have xsane on kanotix so I have to use command line to scan-but it works.
I wonder about a remark I read at a different board saying that knoppix degrades over time? At the time I read that I thought it was
just distro bashing but now I don't know. If anyone has experinace with inconsistency in a hard drive install perhaps you could share that?
Thanks
Update: After rebooting the system this morning I found I had my scanner back in knoppix. I don't know what the problem was
though so I still feel a litttle concerned about the system. I don't know if any of this is related to the error "fs type devfs not supported by
kernel" that has been discussed elewhere but something about the system seems strange. I'm using woody 3.0r1 today.
Thanks for "listening".
.
Similar Threads
-
By Frenchie in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-22-2006, 12:38 AM
-
By insolit in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-04-2006, 01:08 AM
-
By donl in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-29-2004, 07:15 PM
-
By uerden in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-26-2004, 12:50 PM
-
By freyley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot
$119.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99