Don't cross post, which is posting the same post in multiple forums. Your other post has been removed.
I'm new at Linux (not using other systems and computers) and i have been testing Knoppix LiveCD, now i i've installed it in my HDD. This HDD is plugged using USB 2.0 and i have another internal HDD containing Windows XP (a SATA drive). The installation was done correctly, and i've selected USB-HDD boot in the BIOS, the system boots and i can see the GRUB prompt, then, at the GRUB prompt i've configured the kernel location using: kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 and Linux starts.... BUT, after a few seconds and some booting messages, i get: Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01 I've been searching in Google information and i've found some tutorials and infos about how to install KNOPPIX in Pendrives, etc, (none was about USB HDDs, but i suppose that is the same thing). I've tried to follow instructions but nothing worked fine... I know that i must modify the initrd or something like that, but i don't know how to do it... so can anybody help me? I think that this is a very interesting question because i think that there is a lot of people in this situation, so, can anyboy post a small tutorial detailing the all the steps to get the correct Linux configuration??
Many thanks in advance,
.:Fido:.
Don't cross post, which is posting the same post in multiple forums. Your other post has been removed.
Ok, sorry....![]()

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$225.00
Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$195.00
MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer
$2390.00
MITS Altair Computer Notes January/February 1977
$100.00
S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)
$34.99
S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)
$99.95
MITS Altair Computer Notes June 1976
$90.00
MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800
$189.95
CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99
Intel 4004 IBM Mark 1 UNIVAC Cray-1 Babbage ENIAC Apple 1 Steve Jobs MITS Altair
$46.00