Erratic \Er*rat"ic\, a. [L. erraticus, fr. errare to wander: cf.
F. eErratic \Er*rat"ic\, a. [L. erraticus, fr. errare to wander: cf.
F. erratique. See Err.]
1. Having no certain course; roving about without a fixed
destination; wandering; moving; -- hence, applied to the
planets as distinguished from the fixed stars.
The earth and each erratic world. --Blackmore
Actually sometimes consistency is boring-I'm an artistI have been playing with many linux distros for some years now.
Yesterday I wanted to use my scanner, which had been set up and working, but it wasn't even recognized. The "scanimage -L"
command just got me "no such command" in knoppix 3.5 kernel 2.4.26. I know that it did work because I have images I scanned
in my home folder. Trying to do an apt-get install sane was a big hassle because I needed to do an update (hours over a dial-up)
but it accomplished nothing. I have set up several scanners in linux and I'm fairly familar with sane. I just don't understand why the
system would be working and then not- no sane. I don't do upgrades or anything to change the system.
Note I'm in kanotix now and it recognizes the scanner. I don't have xsane on kanotix so I have to use command line to scan-but it works.
I wonder about a remark I read at a different board saying that knoppix degrades over time? At the time I read that I thought it was
just distro bashing but now I don't know. If anyone has experinace with inconsistency in a hard drive install perhaps you could share that?
Thanks
Update: After rebooting the system this morning I found I had my scanner back in knoppix. I don't know what the problem was
though so I still feel a litttle concerned about the system. I don't know if any of this is related to the error "fs type devfs not supported by
kernel" that has been discussed elewhere but something about the system seems strange. I'm using woody 3.0r1 today.
Thanks for "listening".
.

DEC PDP 11/05 or 11/10 system complete, H900 box, vintage, Digital Equip Corp
$3509.00
Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation
$500.00
HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer
$157.30
Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25
$799.00
One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends
$149.00
Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981
$199.99
Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit
$44.99
LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold
$749.99
VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE
$299.99
IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D
$219.99