Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Read only file system- installing linuxant drivers...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6

    Read only file system- installing linuxant drivers...

    Hi. Trying to install the Linuxant drivers for a Conexant HSF Winmodem in Knoppix. After decompressing the tar file and running make install I get an error stating the installation erred due to a read only file system. I've tried chmod ineffectively and even burned the file to CD to try and load from there. Anyway, how do I change the permission attributes of the file systemS to load the drivers? Oh, it's trying to make directories in /usr/sbin. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    71
    You can't. A read-only filesystem is, as the name states, read-only. Knoppix 3.8 will have UnionFS, which makes it possible to virtually write to the CD.

    Depending on what exactly the Makefile instructions are (I don't have any knowledge of that package), you may have the option to install the package in your home dir (which you can make persistant). Just for information, could you post the output of the command "make -n install" (if it isn't too long)? And: do you have to run "configure" for the package to compile? If yes, try the "--prefix=/home/whatever-your-home-is" option.

    Thomas

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the help. Just to be sure I have you right. I can't write to the file system because it's on the CD. The drivers were probably intended for installation on a comp running Linux, not a Knoppix Live CD. Is that it?

    I don't have the output of the Makefile instructions as I'm at work right now but I can get them tonight.

    And: I believe I do have to configure for the package to compile, I have to run the "hsfconfig" comand. You are suggesting I run "make install= /home/hda1" for instance? Would I need to set up a new partion to hold the pesistent home dir? I have seen a few tutorials so I can probably get that done. Thanks again.

Similar Threads

  1. ndiswrapper Read-only file system
    By pronk in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-16-2005, 10:32 AM
  2. read-only file system problem
    By MrBigTime in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 06:42 PM
  3. unable to make install - read-only file system
    By knopppixnewbie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 04:18 PM
  4. Read-only file system HDD after boot from CD
    By starwill in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-12-2003, 01:01 AM
  5. Intalling package: Read-only file system???
    By CelticSoul in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 08:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033

$125.00



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$58.00



Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD

$339.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99