Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Disk error 10

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1

    Disk error 10

    Hello!
    When I try to boot with the KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN CD on my computer, the screen just turns dark when the boot prompt (or whatever it's called; the prompt where you choose kernel and boot parameters) is supposed to appear. After ~10 seconds of utter blackness, the following error pops up:
    isolinux: Disk error 10, Ax=42FA, drive EF
    Boot failed: press return to reboot
    Unfortunately, I can't provide you with a lspci -v from that computer, but I hope this specification will do:
    Asus A8V Deluxe, K8T800Pro, S939 (
    AMD Athlon64, 3200+, S939
    2xCorsair Value DDR3200, 512 MB
    2xSeagate Barracuda 7200.7 200GB, SATA150
    NEC ND-3500A DVD±RW

    So, my question is: why do I get this error? Could it have something to do with SATA? Also, the same error appeared on a friend's computer with another new Asus mother board, although of P4 architecture.

    [edit]
    By the way, the install-amd64-universal-2004.3-r1.iso live-CD (used for installing Gentoo Linux on amd64 architectures) works just fine. However, I don't know the specific differences between it and Knoppix 3.7.
    [/edit]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Most people who run up against this problem have either a bad CDR or a sensitive CDROM drive. In your case it sounds like the CDR media is bad. Just last night I had to burn a Knoppix disc and it turned out bad. So I trashed that and burned a new one. If I find that a CDR brand is giving me unusual errors, then I will burn the CDR at 4x or 8x and that will usually solve it. Other times, the CDROM drive did not like the CDR media so I had to get a different brand.
    I hope this helps.
    James

Similar Threads

  1. isolinux: Disk error ...
    By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 09:47 PM
  2. Disk error
    By bytemind in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 11:54 PM
  3. isolinux: disk error 01, AX=42080d, disk=9F
    By bottomer in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-30-2005, 02:20 PM
  4. Disk Error on Boot
    By segway in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-22-2005, 04:24 PM
  5. non-system disk error
    By tony177 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 10:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1 picture

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1

$399.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$43.00