Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Problem installing

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3

    Problem installing

    Hi,

    I'm trying to install the new Knoppix 3.7 on my laptop (Acer Aspire 1700).

    Trouble with this machine is that the HDD isn't configured to be located at HDA but HDC (I know, weird, but true).

    Now I've tryed 'knoppix-installer' and the code to bypass the check, then I get stuck. When I choose my installation
    method, I get a screen with code, from Xdialog. Nothing happens when I click next then, and this is with the IGNORE_ option.
    I have hdc1 configured as my WinXP 10 gig, hdc2 for a potential bootmanager (I usualy use grub) 32 mb and then 10 gig free for linux.
    I do not understand why it keeps saying I don't have enough space... I have a total space of 120 gig and have 10 reserved.

    The 10 gig for linux is in Ext3 format, and hdc2 in Ext2 format.

    Simple tabel:
    HDC1 WinXP 10 gig (active)
    HDC2 Linux Boot 32 mb (not active)
    HDC3 Linux Root 10gig (not active)
    HDC4 other stuff

    Can anybody help me out with this please?

    And then another question. If I want 2 boot Knoppix from Grub when I've installed it on HDC2 and set that partition active,
    how should I configure grub.conf when Knoppix is located at HDC3?

    Thnx for ur time,

    Kev.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bastrop Texas
    Posts
    8

    Problem installing

    Did you remember to set up a Linux swap partition?

    Heres the way alot of people set up thier knoppix HD install

    hd - 1 Win any
    hd - 2 Linux Boot
    hd - 3 Linux Swap

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3
    Hi,

    I don't need a swap partition because I have 512 mb memory,

    Does the setup require a swap to install? Because I don't want to use 1 if possible..

    Kev

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    27
    eh kev i just was wondering the same thing.... seems like u do need the swap partition. I had to go through and format ex2 on the partition i wanted to use. then I had to go through and then i had to do another format so named linux-swap on another partition. I dident relise this at all and i wondered why i kept on getting these windows that said nothing was set for the instilation. I then went through and read the documents HD install and i cant believe my eyes but it worked. so your question has been answered you have to do it man. it is well worth the trouble.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem Installing
    By Compmad in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-29-2005, 06:58 AM
  2. Problem installing gcc
    By rangalo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2005, 12:35 PM
  3. Problem Installing
    By tzulberti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 07:56 PM
  4. A problem of installing Gnoppix?
    By winter009 in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 02:20 PM
  5. Installing Problem
    By Wikt in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-10-2004, 03:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3 picture

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3

$200.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.  picture

64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.

$260.00



64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.  picture

64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.

$280.00