Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: help me understand the symlinks on /ramdisk

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    3

    help me understand the symlinks on /ramdisk

    Hi all,

    When booting knoppix from CD, I see a line that says:

    Code:
    Creating directories and symlinks on /ramdisk...Done
    But I can't find that step in the init scripts anywhere.

    I want to build a box that will boot from the hard drive, but basically treat the hard drive like a read-only filesystem (just like the CD). It should mount /dev/hd? as ro, so the system coudl be used (and abused) and then be recovered with a reboot.

    Can anybody give me a hint on how the root filesystem and all the symlinks on the ramdisk are created when bootinf from CD, so I can mimick it with a hard drive install?

    Thanks!

    Al

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Knoppix loads the kernel and mini root partition from /KNOPPIX-CD-ROOT/boot/isolinux. If you use the 2.4 kernel on knoppix then the kernel loaded is linux24 and the mini root is minirt24.gz. If you use the 2.6 kernel on knoppix then the kernel loaded is linux26 and the mini root is minirt26.gz. You can view the mini root by copying it to another location, unziping it, and loop mounting it.
    Code:
    cd $HOME
    cp /KNOPPIX-CD-ROOT/boot/isolinux/minirt24.gz ./
    mkdir foobar
    gunzip minirt24.gz
    sudo mount -t ext2 -o loop minirt24 ./foobar
    Inside the minirt you will find a executable script named linuxrc. This linuxrc script is init script for Knoppix.
    #!/static/sh
    #
    # KNOPPIX General Startup Script
    # (C) Klaus Knopper ([email protected])
    #
    #
    # This script needs some of the builtin ash commands (if, test, ...)
    # mount/umount, insmod/rmmod are also a builtin in ash-knoppix
    #
    Line at about line 612 to 618 is where the symlinks get created.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    UnderScore

    I think this will help me solve my issue also. I am trying to start vdr from withen my CD. vdr requires a folder called /video. I copied this folder to my remaster sources folder. After compression it became /KNOPPIX/video so vdr was not able to see it. So, I want to create a symilink /video to /KNOPPIX/video at start up. I have done several things using the above as follows but all failed:
    1- I added a line in linuxrc with code: ln -s /KNOPPIX/video /video
    2- I added a line in linuxrc with code: ln -s /KNOPPIX/video /
    3- I created a folder /video in ./foobar and made the above similink, but the system ignored that folder.
    4- I created a similink at ./foobar to /KNOPPIX/video and same thing it was ignored.
    I tried many other thing.
    Can you sugesst any thing else?

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix 511 eng ask me something I don't understand....
    By armanso in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 02:29 PM
  2. don't understand all IP stuff
    By csodabogar in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-27-2006, 08:29 PM
  3. please telk for me easy to understand.Thank!
    By lytieulongcon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 12:07 PM
  4. Two things about remastering I dont understand.
    By estranged in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 09:39 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-21-2003, 03:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory picture

LOT OF 3 Micron 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory

$255.00



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



HMAA8GR7AJR4N-XN - SK Hynix 64GB PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz Registered ECC DIMM Dual picture

HMAA8GR7AJR4N-XN - SK Hynix 64GB PC4-25600 DDR4-3200MHz Registered ECC DIMM Dual

$493.31



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$378.00



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99