-
galeon PyXML emule edonkey
Hi,
I was a bit surprised I couldn't get galeon installed after the obligatory "apt-get update" on an HD-installed Knoppix 3.2 (28 March EN) - no sources changed:
Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
galeon: Conflicts: mozilla-browser (>= 2:1.0.1)
As I don't have a lot of debian experience, I thought I should seek your advice, since galeon is my favourite browser (mostly), plus I always thought it was easy to install! A few other bits and pieces aren't the version I want them, in Python there are both 2.1 and 2.2 installed with 2.1 the "default", a python2.2-xml was compiled against some other minor version and won't install - is it wise for me to fetch the .tgz source for my Python things and configure;make them? Is this going to mess up the upgradabiity of my Knoppix, or is Knoppix perhaps such a hack that can't safely be "apt-get upgrade"d or "dist-upgrade"d?
For filesharing, the default sources do come up with lmule for an eMule lookalike, but no mldonkey etc could be found, nor do I see any Kazza options (as usual, I expect Kazaa to work under wine)
Thanks,
Chris
-
A few other bits and pieces aren't the version I want them, in Python there are both 2.1 and 2.2 installed with 2.1 the "default", a python2.2-xml was compiled against some other minor version and won't install - is it wise for me to fetch the .tgz source for my Python things and configure;make them? Is this going to mess up the upgradabiity of my Knoppix, or is Knoppix perhaps such a hack that can't safely be "apt-get upgrade"d or "dist-upgrade"d?
I did apt-get update, followed by apt-get install python. As far as I can tell, the python version that I use by default is 2.2. I don't know what's wrong with your install, but when you did apt-get update, did it successfully retrieve package lists from all the mirrors? Or did some fail? If some did, try doing 'apt-get update' again.
For filesharing, the default sources do come up with lmule for an eMule lookalike, but no mldonkey etc could be found, nor do I see any Kazza options (as usual, I expect Kazaa to work under wine)
There is no KaZaa option under Linux. As for the other programs, you could always download them separately and install them. AFAIK, installing from source doesn't prevent distribution upgrades, which is cool.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: galeon PyXML emule edonkey
For filesharing, the default sources do come up with lmule for an eMule lookalike, but no mldonkey etc could be found, nor do I see any Kazza options (as usual, I expect Kazaa to work under wine)
Uhm, sorry. But you expect Windows programs packaged for Debian? Wine does a wonderfull job, but it's still a big hack. And then, out of all shareing programs, Kazaa! You will need to read this response with a bit of a *wink*, but still.
Who could ever invent a program to swap files on a "this link might hold *bzzzz*" network that is inherently bound to p2p -normal PCs will log off now and then- without propper checksums? I know, userbase, etc. The eDonkey network is big too, Gnutella2 might become a biggy (too?).
btw, there are more p2p clients packaged for Debian:
Gtk-Gnutella - (stable) (unstable)
pyslsk, a SoulSeek client - (unstable)
You can find more via these Debian-package seaches:
"gnutella" in description.
"napster" in description.
Misc:
Hagelslag, a gnutella client.
iNoize, music ordered be artist, genre, whatever.
Furthur, only shares legaly live-taped content, with the artists permission.
I don't know a fix for the galeon browser nor python2.2-xml, I guess manually installing them should work. If I was you I would check why they say it can't be run next to mozilla.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: galeon PyXML emule edonkey

Originally Posted by
chart
For filesharing, the default sources do come up with lmule for an eMule lookalike, but no mldonkey etc could be found, nor do I see any Kazza options (as usual, I expect Kazaa to work under wine)
Thanks,
Chris
edonkey was quite easy to install on Knoppix 3.2
http://www.edonkey2000.com/ The 'C' GUI will work without installing anything extra.
Qtella is an easy install (if you have the QT libraries) but I'll be damned if I can get it to connect to anything.
As far as your browser situation goes Knoppix does have Konqueror. A vastly superior browser compared to Mozilla IMHO. If you really want Galeon you should be able to use KPackage Manager to remove Mozilla. I cannot say that will work for sure though but I'll be trying it out myself in a few days.
Similar Threads
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-12-2005, 02:56 PM
-
By nvgringo in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-21-2004, 06:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5501 5410 5510 E5411 E5511
$28.99

New Genuine OEM Dell Latitude 5420 5520 3560 4 Cell Laptop Battery RJ40G M033W
$49.95

OEM Genuine Dell Latitude 5420 5424 7424 Rugged 11.4V 51Wh Battery 06JRCP 7WNW1
$95.67

New Dell OEM Inspiron 15 3511 15.6" Battery 11.25V 41Wh 3467mAh G91J0 MGCM5
$44.95

OEM Genuine 86WH 69KF2 Battery For Dell XPS 15 9500 Precision 5550 M59JH M15 M17
$45.49

OEM 68Wh 3HWPP Battery For Dell Latitude 5401 5411 15 5501 5511 Precision 3541
$35.78

Genuine OEM 6MT4T 62WH Battery For Dell Latitude E5470 E5570 6MT4T 07V69Y 7V69Y
$17.88

Dell OEM 240W 7.4mm 19.5V 12.3A Big Barrel AC Adapter Mixed Model B Grade
$19.99

OEM Genuine 95WH PKWVM C903V Battery 7550 For Dell Precision CR72X 17C06 447VR
$37.40

OEM Genuine 63WH RJ40G Battery For Dell Latitude 5420 5520 Precision 3560 M033W
$31.69