-
Knoppix freezing commonly
I'm running a fairly new copy of Knoppix 3.7 on my laptop for now because of some harddrive issues I'm having, but I've having issues with Knoppix as well, foremost is how it keeps freezing on me repeatedly. I start Knoppix with "Knoppix home=scan", the computer has 256 MB of ram, no harddrive currently, so the Knoppix home is on a USB drive. It doesn't seem to be freezing completely randomly, usually when I start a new process, like opening a new Knoqueror window. When it freezes, the display sometimes goes crazy, but usually just stays the same, and the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive, I don't even get anything from ctrl+alt+del or ctrl+alt+f#, and there's no activity on any of the drives. I have to hold down the power button to force it off then restart. I'm using the default window manager, KDE, and I haven't really installed anything to Knoppix, I mostly just run things like Konqueror, KWrite, Xine, and Wine, it doesn't seem to be anything in particular that's causing the problem.
I'm not a Linux expert, so I don't really know what would be causing this, but I do know my way around a console and would like to work with Knoppix more if it would run reliably.
-
I would think you have some other problem.
First of all 256 MB is a bit on the short side to run application, so it could be that Knoppix starts swapping heavily on launching some applications wich would 'look' like it is frozen.
Otherwise I would think you have some hardware problem.
Rony
Similar Threads
-
By Jorpho in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-18-2008, 04:57 AM
-
By Dr Snark in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 05-28-2004, 12:37 PM
-
By bob58 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:18 PM
-
By foil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-21-2003, 06:55 AM
-
By punk000 in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 08-29-2003, 10:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$106.67

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00