-
I need the Knoppix root password to access my PCMCIA slot
When I try to use my PCMCIA slot with my Linksys Wireless PC Card it asks for the root password. Does anyone have the password? If not is there a work-around for this??
CaptainN
-
Hit the "K" , go to the KNOPPIX menu, and click on root console and you will now have root access
root by default has NO password, so either use the root console under the KNOPPIX menu, or use a virtual terminal (ctrl+alt+f2)
(ctrl+alt+f5 to get back to kde)
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
That was a pretty basic question for knoppix that has been answered about 1000 times
good point rickenbacherus
-
Ok. Now how do I get it to see the card?? Sorry if I'm acting like an idiot, but this is the first time I've used any form of linux / unix in my life.
CaptainN
-
I'm not sure i'm following you, when i used my dads linksys pcmcia wireless card I had to do nothing. It automatically detected it and used dhcp to get an ip address and i was online at bootup.
What are you trying to run that needs root access.
-
I just simply want to get on the internet with it. I have the card in the slot when I boot into Knoppix. Then when I go to click on Mozilla and type ina url it says the url I typed in can't be found.
CaptainN
-
Senior Member
registered user
You could always try
netcardconfig
from a terminal.
-
Do you have a dhcp server setup that will give you an ip address. At my dads house, he has a small home router connected to his cable modem that will use dhcp and assign the card an ip address and such. You can have the card configured correctly hardware-wise, but if you don't have an IP address and a gateway setup, you wont get online. This is more networking issues than a knoppix problem.
-
Yes my router is set to give automatic ip addresses. Is there something that I'm doig wrong. I also tried netcardconfig several times and each time it failed.
CaptainN
Similar Threads
-
By papwilly in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-20-2005, 02:04 PM
-
By jaykay in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-07-2004, 08:01 PM
-
By MrWizard in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-01-2003, 10:14 PM
-
By swamishriji in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-08-2003, 01:55 AM
-
By swamishriji in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-07-2003, 04:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

New Dell PowerEdge Server R360 Xeon E-2488 3.2G 16GB RAM 4X800GB SSD 6x600GB SAS
$3890.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$381.93

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 SERVER M48YR RXW6R K98XH
$225.00