Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix freezing commonly

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6

    Knoppix freezing commonly

    I'm running a fairly new copy of Knoppix 3.7 on my laptop for now because of some harddrive issues I'm having, but I've having issues with Knoppix as well, foremost is how it keeps freezing on me repeatedly. I start Knoppix with "Knoppix home=scan", the computer has 256 MB of ram, no harddrive currently, so the Knoppix home is on a USB drive. It doesn't seem to be freezing completely randomly, usually when I start a new process, like opening a new Knoqueror window. When it freezes, the display sometimes goes crazy, but usually just stays the same, and the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive, I don't even get anything from ctrl+alt+del or ctrl+alt+f#, and there's no activity on any of the drives. I have to hold down the power button to force it off then restart. I'm using the default window manager, KDE, and I haven't really installed anything to Knoppix, I mostly just run things like Konqueror, KWrite, Xine, and Wine, it doesn't seem to be anything in particular that's causing the problem.

    I'm not a Linux expert, so I don't really know what would be causing this, but I do know my way around a console and would like to work with Knoppix more if it would run reliably.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9
    I would think you have some other problem.

    First of all 256 MB is a bit on the short side to run application, so it could be that Knoppix starts swapping heavily on launching some applications wich would 'look' like it is frozen.
    Otherwise I would think you have some hardware problem.

    Rony

Similar Threads

  1. KDE Freezing at Desktop, Knoppix 5.1.1
    By Jorpho in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 04:57 AM
  2. Freezing
    By Dr Snark in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 12:37 PM
  3. XMMS freezing up...
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:18 PM
  4. Freezing after HDD install
    By foil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 06:55 AM
  5. knoppix crashing/freezing
    By punk000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-29-2003, 10:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99