I have a Sony TR1AP laptop which, according to other posts, uses the intel8x0 alsa sound driver. Unfortunately, I can't get the sound to work; I hear nothing in Knoppix. I have tried booting Knoppix 3.7 using both the 2.6 and 2.4 kernels with either of the following cheat codes:
alsa
alsa=intel8x0
With the second of these two cheat codes the messages shown at boot time say that the sound card is detected and that the sound driver loads OK. However, next comes a message saying "alsamix no device found". When KDE finally loads there is an X through the kmix speaker tray icon and when you click on it no mixer is found. I tried typing "alsamixer" from a terminal window and I get an error message (no device found I think).
From searching other boards I think that some people have gotten sound to work in Knoppix with the Sony TR1AP, but I haven't found the secret as to how they did it. Can anyone help as I would really like to get sound working in knoppix (booting from CD) on my Sony TR1AP laptop. Thanks.

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$34.01