-
USB harddisk boot
Hello guys!
I need your help to get out of my endless nights wondering what to do...
I have 2 computers at home, one in my room, and the other one is a laptop. I wish to use both of them as webservers, and using them alternatively (the laptop for the night, the desktop for the day cause I need my laptop to work in my lab).
So I came with the Idea to use my USB harddisk (120gb) as a "removable bootable server". I decided to customize the latest knoppix (3.7), as I need the kernel modules 'madwifi' needed for the wireless card of my laptop. I started checking in the how-to if there was a mean to adapt knoppix for usb-boot instead of cdrom-boot. I read this page: http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de...oppix-usb.html
Has it refers to an old knoppix distribution, I tried to adapt this method for my USB-HDD. I followed its instruction, then when I get to the syslinux execution in the MBR of my usb hard-disk, I checked the manpages to see if the isolinux.cfg could simply be renamed syslinux.cfg. I renamed it this way, then unmounted the /dev/sdb1 partition, and executed "syslinux /dev/sdb1" (the modified linuxrc refers to /dev/sda1, and not /dev/sdb1, do you think this can play a role? I'm new to syslinux and that kind of things... I did only modified grub files in my past experiences).
Then, when I boot my computer, with ide-hd boot desactivated to be sure to boot on usb, and with usb boot activated, I first get a line telling me "Booting from USB HD ... OK" before getting an endless sequence of 99 99 99 99 ... kind of stuff you get when there's an boot sequence mistake somewhere.
My questions are simple: I cannot find in my brain or in google what the 99 sequence refers to. Second: Do you see a way to solve my problems?
Thx for reading me.
Fabrice
PS: I haven't customized the knoppix to become my server yet, I first want to be sure this is possible, so I want to check the usb-bootable customization.
PS2: I speak french better than english, so please avoid abreviations when you answer me.
Similar Threads
-
By lissyx in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 14
Last Post: 10-17-2005, 07:38 PM
-
By GblubbR in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-09-2005, 05:18 PM
-
By winglion in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 11-07-2004, 08:54 AM
-
By theomega in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-07-2004, 05:12 PM
-
By sn0wflake in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 06:45 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$308.00

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server
$349.99

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections
$63.00