Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Save boot options on USB pen drive?

  1. #1

    Save boot options on USB pen drive?

    Is there a way to save the text I have to type on every computer reboot / move to another machine to my USB pen drive? I already have my home drive and config fles saved there, but I get tired of typing "knoppix lang=us home=/mnt/sda1 myconfig=/mnt/sda1 toram nopcmcia"

    My laptop (at work) only has one bay for either a floppy OR a CD-ROM, not both. My machine at home is an XP box for pretty much games only. I don't have an extra hd floating around to install on either.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I have discovered 2 paths, you can remaster a new ISO file, hexedit the Knoppix.iso file. I am also researching another path that will hopefully not require so much effort.

    REMASTER
    You can use the Documentation link at the top of the screen to read about remastering or you can view the HOWTO I wrote: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13867. If you follow my HOWTO, you do not have to add/remove/update exactly as I did. A knwn issue with remastering is that if you do not add anything to the original Knoppix contents, the resulting ISO image is larger than 700MB and will not fit on a CDR. So you will however have to remove something so that the resulting ISO image fits on a CDR. I don't like or use emacs so I suggest removing emacs via the command:
    apt-get remove emacs21 emacs21-bin-common emacs21-common emacsen-common gettext-el zile

    During the remaster process, open up the remaster/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg file in a text editor and notice the second line. It is the second line that controls the default bootup behavior.
    1: DEFAULT linux24
    2: APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    3: TIMEOUT 300
    Edit line #2:
    1: DEFAULT linux24
    2: APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet lang=us home=/mnt/sda1 myconfig=/mnt/sda1 toram nopcmcia BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
    3: TIMEOUT 300
    Then save it and exit the editor. Finish remastering and create the ISO file. Burn and boot the new CDR. The PC will now default boot Knoppix with your setting.

    HEXEDIT
    To hexedit, I boot with Knoppix 3.7 and in this case, this particular PC does not like DMA nor does it like the hires console since the monitor gets all blurry. So my normal bootup is:
    Code:
    knoppix 2 nodma vga=normal
    Code:
    # mount -t ext3 /dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6
    # cd /mnt/hda6/mnt/test
    Download the KNOPPIX_3.7.iso image file. Then run hexedit the console based hex editor or you can use the KDE GUI khexedit. The following instructions are for the console based hex editor.
    Code:
    # hexedit KNOPPIX_3.7.iso
    <Tab> to switch to ascii mode
    <ctrl-s> to search
    DEFAULT linux24
    <Enter>
    navigate to vga=791 and type nodma plus 2 spaces -> 'nodma '
    <ctrl-x> to save and exit
    Burn modified Knoppix.iso & boot off it. It worked! The PC will now default boot Knoppix with nodma and will boot in a normal vga console & not a hight res console.

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    James,
    Thanks for your suggestions! I think I will first take a look at the hexedit option. (Have taken several x86 and motorola assembly classes, so I'm fairly comfy starting at a row full of hex )

    I was hoping to grab a copy of 3.8 before I actually tried to remaster a CD. However, I might just go ahead and try it.

    Thanks so much!

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    27
    how do i do this without the iso? i mean, with the hdd install of knoppix? Is there any fiel to edit, or lilo?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you can most likely put desired bootoptions in the textfile /etc/lilo.conf and rerun lilo to make them valid.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mumbai, India
    Posts
    27
    rerun lilo, or make a new lio after making the change. Sorry if it is a dumb question, but i'm yet w8ing to do an HDD Knoppix install....

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    just rerun, as root, that re reads the config file and upgdates settings.
    that is , as root type lilo in a console window.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot Options
    By nnigam in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-04-2007, 09:07 PM
  2. What are the Boot options?
    By jimbo62 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 02:28 AM
  3. 3.4 Boot options?
    By metalfan in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 01:35 PM
  4. Boot options
    By ovunque in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 12:20 AM
  5. Boot options
    By Tea_Fiend in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 08:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage 1984 IBM Network Access Computer NAC Model 2-L Dynamic Telecom U.S. TEL picture

Vintage 1984 IBM Network Access Computer NAC Model 2-L Dynamic Telecom U.S. TEL

$199.99



Vintage AutoCAD  2000i Upgrade Boxed CD & Key Code picture

Vintage AutoCAD 2000i Upgrade Boxed CD & Key Code

$144.45



Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor  Other picture

Vintage Ampex Chip Boards Memory Processor Other

$299.99



Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ picture

Vintage Core CL9 Master Universal Remote Control Steve Wozniak (Apple) READ

$988.88



MOS MCS 6502 Ceramic DIP Vintage CPU/Processor Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO) picture

MOS MCS 6502 Ceramic DIP Vintage CPU/Processor Chip ALL LEGS INTACT (BO)

$2500.00



Vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 Multi-Pen Plotter 26-1191 6-Color 1981 w/ Cover picture

Vintage Radio Shack TRS-80 Multi-Pen Plotter 26-1191 6-Color 1981 w/ Cover

$349.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Intel, AMD, WE,ATT, M, CCCP,+ICs, Shadow box Vintage For The Collector. See Info picture

Intel, AMD, WE,ATT, M, CCCP,+ICs, Shadow box Vintage For The Collector. See Info

$250.00



LOT of 4 Intel/AMD R80188 80188 R80186 80186 vintage CPU GOLD/Ceramic picture

LOT of 4 Intel/AMD R80188 80188 R80186 80186 vintage CPU GOLD/Ceramic

$59.99



Apple Ethernet CS II Card BOX AND MANUAL ONLY- Vintage Network Interface picture

Apple Ethernet CS II Card BOX AND MANUAL ONLY- Vintage Network Interface

$59.99