Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Cisco Systems 350 and Monitor mode

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    12

    Cisco Systems 350 and Monitor mode

    I'm setting up a network with a client that has a Cisco Systems 350 PCI wireless LAN adapter and is configured using an Aironet utility in Microsoft Windows.
    Using Knoppix I was able to join the wireless network with the default router set up and could ping the router, so everything was working fine.

    I then tried to set it to monitor mode using iwconfig eth0/wifi0 mode monitor, but it never changed the mode, I could change it to ad-hoc but not monitor mode.
    I assume that this card does support monitor mode and doesn't need any patch drivers, if so then what can be the problem?

    When I typed iwconfig eth0 mode monitor and pressed enter, the cursor went to a new line with nothing on it, not even the prompt. I tried opening Airsnort, Ethereal etc but they kept crashing. AirSnort gave me a "segmentation error".

    I ran Kismet and got the error message "FATAL: pcap reported netlink type 1[EN10MB] on eth0. This problem means you are not in RFMON mode or your drivers are reporting a bad value. Make sure you have the correct drivers and that entering monitor mode succeeded."

    Looking in Microsoft Windows device manager I found the following:
    Driver - airo.C 0.6
    Device - 350 series
    Firmware Version - 4.25.30


    1. Do I have the right driver or do I need to download some? if so which one's and where from?
    2. How else can I set it to monitor mode other than iwconfig wifi0 mode monitor?

    I ran a google search and someone said to solve it you need to do this:
    #!/bin/sh
    cardctl scheme kismet
    ifconfig eth0 down
    kismet-monitor -i eth0
    ifconfig wifi0 up
    echo "Mode: r"> /proc/driver/aironet/eth0/config
    echo "Mode: y"> /proc/driver/aironet/eth0/config
    kismet -1 wifi0

    But I'm not sure if I have to edit a file or type it at the shell prompt, I typed it at the shell prompt and it never got past the first line "cardctl scheme kismet".

    I looked in /proc/driver/aironet/eth0 but didn't see much except things such as status and the current config with the SSID etc.

    Thanks for any help

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    12
    I've just bought Wi-Foo The Secrets of Wireless Hacking, and had it on me when I was doing the testing but I've only just read it when I came home.
    It says I just need to edit the /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/config from:

    Mode: ESS

    to

    Mode: yna (any) bss rfmon

    I will try that out when I get the chance, it also says that you can't lock this card to a single or set of channels in monitor mode becuase they will continue to hop though the band on a firmware level. There should be no problem with the drivers also.

    If the channel keeps hopping then can it still be used to crack WEP using AirSnort becuase that needs to be in monitor mode? and does it mean that, as the last time I done a iwconfig eth0 scan it picked up 4 AP's, it will try and decrypt all of these AP's? I only want to crack my own.

Similar Threads

  1. Unsupported monitor mode?
    By blankscreen in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 08:44 PM
  2. How to set wlan card to monitor mode?
    By dl5raz in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 10:39 AM
  3. ipw2200 and Monitor mode
    By Irongeek in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2005, 04:21 PM
  4. Cisco 350 pci in monitor mode
    By zlm_us in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 02:31 PM
  5. Orinoco monitor mode
    By courtarro in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2004, 06:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11 picture

NEW HP Z4 G4 Workstation Xeon W-2123 16GB ECC 256GB NVMe NVIDIA T400 750W Win11

$450.00



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX picture

For Parts - Lenovo ThinkServer TS460 Part Number: 70TT-0020UX

$149.99



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



HP Z840 44 Core Workstation 2x Xeon E5-2699 v4 - No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

HP Z840 44 Core Workstation 2x Xeon E5-2699 v4 - No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$594.97



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$354.48



Intel Xeon W-3245 3.2ghz 16-Core CPU OEM - 2019 Mac Pro 7,1 picture

Intel Xeon W-3245 3.2ghz 16-Core CPU OEM - 2019 Mac Pro 7,1

$395.95



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99