-
Backing up NTFS partition: partimage or ntfsclone?
My laptop HD is failing, so I want to create an image of the NTFS partition before the drive fails completely. I tried using partimage, which appears to work fine, but the "experimental" status of NTFS support makes me somewhat nervous.
Then I found out about ntfsclone, which would seem to do what I want. However, the the website is marked unmaintained, so I don't know how outdated the info I read would be.
What I need is the ability to restore the saved partition onto a new HD, swap the new HD with the old failing one, and have the laptop boot as if nothing has happened. The new HD would be of the same or larget size than the old HD (though in the latter case, I'd want the extra space be usable as well).
Any suggestions as to which tool would work better?
-
When my 40 GB hda drive was starting to sound like a frog I bought a 80 GB to replace it with. hda had only 1 partition, hda1. On the new drive I made several partitions, but I made hda1 slightly over 40 GB. Next I plugged them both in, booted knoppix, su'd to root and gave the command: dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1 while the new drive was the slave on the cable at hdb.
This leaves out the bootloader so I chrooted and ran lilo, but If you just have windows you need to swap the new drive to master, boot with winCD into recovery console and issue fixmbr. When you then bootup the hd it will probably run scandisk but should work.
-
Another option is to use GHOST, but if the partition is damaged it might not work. I just recovered files from a defective drive using knoppix 3.7 with great results (but extensive period of time). I did it using Samba, Linux to Windows based network utility and just copied the files this way.
-

Originally Posted by
Markus
When my 40 GB hda drive was starting to sound like a frog I bought a 80 GB to replace it with. hda had only 1 partition, hda1. On the new drive I made several partitions, but I made hda1 slightly over 40 GB. Next I plugged them both in, booted knoppix, su'd to root and gave the command: dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1 while the new drive was the slave on the cable at hdb.
This leaves out the bootloader so I chrooted and ran lilo, but If you just have windows you need to swap the new drive to master, boot with winCD into recovery console and issue fixmbr. When you then bootup the hd it will probably run scandisk but should work.
I know that dd would work, but it's also inefficient and slow. The fact that I have to back up over the network exacerbates the problem.

Originally Posted by
KoD
Another option is to use GHOST, but if the partition is damaged it might not work. I just recovered files from a defective drive using knoppix 3.7 with great results (but extensive period of time). I did it using Samba, Linux to Windows based network utility and just copied the files this way.
I assume you're referring to g4u, not Norton Ghost. From reading its website, it seems to copy everything, just like dd. Also, it seems to be more sensitive to disk geometry; restoring to larger disks may or may not work.
I guess I could go to the store and pick up Norton Ghost, but I'm too cheap.
-
Senior Member
registered user
partimage, as long as the disk isn't to fragmented you won't have anyproblems.
Also if there is a problem partimage will notify you and stop the copying.
-
Senior Member
registered user
partimage worked for me
I used partimage to save an ntfs partition and restore it again.
-
Re: Backing up NTFS partition: partimage or ntfsclone?

Originally Posted by
madoka
My laptop HD is failing, so I want to create an image of the NTFS partition before the drive fails completely. I tried using partimage, which appears to work fine, but the "experimental" status of NTFS support makes me somewhat nervous.
Then I found out about ntfsclone, which would seem to do what I want. However, the the website is marked unmaintained, so I don't know how outdated the info I read would be.
The web site is unmaintained not the code. Developers focus on work instead of documentation as explained at http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/
Ntfsclone has been working fine for me for about two years now and it's stable since its original release. Partimage wanted to use the ntfsclone engine but Partimage development stopped about a year ago
-
Senior Member
registered user
partimage development stopped??
at http://sourceforge.net/projects/partimage/
there are 13 developers listed but the project is actully stopped?
Similar Threads
-
By EvaUnit02 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-09-2008, 04:09 PM
-
By thejonreally in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-23-2005, 08:54 AM
-
By wolfgangbeyer in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-06-2005, 12:53 AM
-
By SideWynder in forum Ideas
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-09-2003, 07:04 PM
-
By raymond139 in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 09-09-2003, 04:15 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Datacenter 24-Core 50CAL 1PK DVD + KEY Kit
$59.99