Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How can I format my hard drive?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1

    How can I format my hard drive?

    Hi guys, I was running XP Pro on my laptop and I think it got infected with a virus and will no longer boot, so I reverted to trusty KNOPPIX and can boot in and backup all my files off the hard drive.
    However when I come to try and re-install windows XP off the retail CD it hangs after copying over the required files.

    I was wondering whethr this points to a problem with the hard disk, so I am looking for a way to fully format the hard drive from within KNOPPIX and try the XP CD again.

    Appreciate any help

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Boot off of knoppix CD. Use boot cheat code:
    knoppix 2
    at the console run cfdisk to repartition or delete the partitions.
    in cfdisk choose 'write' to save your changes and answer with 'yes'. Quit cfdisk and then reboot via init 6.

    If you don't want to do any of that command line stuff, then you can use qtparted in GUI knoppix. Run it via: sudo qtparted
    I hope this helps.
    James

Similar Threads

  1. Format Your Hard Drive>HOW?
    By listerofsmeg in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-27-2006, 10:56 AM
  2. Knoppix Hard Drive Format compatibility
    By Phr0stbyt3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 02:17 AM
  3. I can't format my hard drive, can i do it with knoppix?
    By johnnymoha in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 07:09 AM
  4. Can I format C drive with Knoppix?
    By janggu in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-20-2004, 02:21 AM
  5. how do you format a hard drive from knoppix?
    By likwid in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 03:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99