Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: knoppix and samba

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1

    knoppix and samba

    I'm managing/transforming a lan at school. It was made of windows pcs with a very old SuSE 6.2 serving Samba shares.
    I have chosen Knoppix for the migration to linux of most part of the machines in the lab, but I'm stuck with a problem.

    Samba serves a common-share for all users. and I want that the share is mounted at boot-time (as in windows pcs)

    So i put this line into /etc/fstab:
    //192.168.0.1/common-share /mnt/common-share smbfs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,dmask=777,fmask=777 0 0
    and created /root/.smbcredentials
    with:
    username=myusername
    password=mypassword

    first problem: the mount is not automatic at boot-time.
    second and main problem: a normal user cannot mount the share: the system says he hasn't got the privilege to mount it

    I tried something, but in vain:
    I added user,auto to fstab
    chmod a+s /usr/bin/smbmnt

    I must be a question related with Knoppix: I tried the same configuration on a Fedora Core 1 machine and it worked well.

    tia
    Antonello

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110

    Possible answer.

    I think with automount, you are trying to get the drive mounted, before Samba is up and running.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix als router, mit samba und X
    By egerber in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 05:50 PM
  2. Samba on knoppix...
    By xaviers2002 in forum Networking
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-20-2004, 12:36 PM
  3. Knoppix 3.4 and Samba
    By charlybr in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-03-2004, 09:49 PM
  4. Knoppix as Samba server
    By charliet in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 06:50 PM
  5. editing /KNOPPIX/etc/samba/samba.conf as root ?!?!
    By smarchand291 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 11:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00