Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Removing daemons from the boot-up process...

  1. #1

    Removing daemons from the boot-up process...

    Hello,

    I've just run apt-get update and apt-get upgrade on my knoppix hard drive installation, but after I've rebooted, a load of unneccesary daemons have started at boot up. (i.e. samba server, mySql server, squid proxy, a thpttd web server {I think that's what it's called})... Anyway, is there some conf file that I can tweak to make sure these services don't load the next time I boot up? I really don't need them at all, and they're quite a security risk...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    london town
    Posts
    220
    use
    Code:
    rcconf
    if its not there just
    Code:
    apt-get install rcconf
    enjoy

    this mayalso intrest you

    http://purelinux.hollosite.com/linuxdefense.txt

  3. #3
    Sweet! Thanks for the speedy reply!!

  4. #4
    I tried to install rcconf, but I ended up with a package dependency..... Anyway I was actually able to remove uneeded daemons from the startup process using

    Code:
    update-rc.d -f <process_name> remove
    where <process_name> is the name of the process that you wish to remove from the bootup sequence. To get a list of all the services that were running at boot up, I simply typed

    Code:
    ls -la /etc/rc*.d/ | more
    Just thought I'd post it here to help anyone with a similar problem.

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix 4.0 freezes during boot process when detecting wlan
    By HelpWanted in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 06:34 PM
  2. Boot process stops...what to do?
    By paulbuck in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-16-2005, 12:05 AM
  3. problems with modules during boot process after remastering
    By mark_one in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-29-2005, 09:00 PM
  4. process to monitor boot process and all necessary apps
    By metzelplik in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-23-2004, 08:11 PM
  5. ksysv (starting services/daemons at boot)
    By c123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 07:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD picture

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD

$149.99



GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7 picture

GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7

$69.59



ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$71.49



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99



MAXSUN MS-iCraft B860M CROSS PRO DDR5 Intel LGA1851 socket picture

MAXSUN MS-iCraft B860M CROSS PRO DDR5 Intel LGA1851 socket

$399.99