Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: How to run an existing linux program via knoppix

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1

    How to run an existing linux program via knoppix

    Complete newbie to linux.

    I have a linux program on a boot floppy which I want to run via knoppix 3.1 (cd boot up version).
    I have the following questions:

    The original floppy script begins by using the command;
    cp /mnt/floppy/etc/* /etc/
    There are several different terminal emulations. Which one do I want?
    Which partition do I need to make writeable? (eg HDA1,HDA2 etc)
    The above command copies the profile to /etc.
    How do I enable this profile to overwrite the existing profile?

    The next commands are:

    mkdir /lincardemu
    chmod 777 /lincardemu
    gzip -d -c /mnt/floppy/lce.gz > /lincardemu/lce
    cp /mnt/floppy/lce/* /lincardemu/
    cp /mnt/floppy/loaf.txt /lincardemu/loaf.txt

    Will I have sufficient write access to carry these out?

    I am using USB serial interface (Pl2303) instead of the normal serial interface. In the config file will I need to change the statements
    "xdev = /dev/ttyS0" for it to recognise the serial port coming via the USB socket?


    Any help appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: How to run an existing linux program via knoppix

    --What in the world are you trying to do...

    I'll answer as much as I can w/o understanding what you are trying to accomplish and *why.*

    Terminal emulation: VT100 should be a good try.
    If you are Root, you can do Anything.
    AFAIK, you will probably not be able to use a USB serial interface. If anyone can, correct me on this...

    Quote Originally Posted by hughmax
    Complete newbie to linux.

    I have a linux program on a boot floppy which I want to run via knoppix 3.1 (cd boot up version).
    I have the following questions:

    The original floppy script begins by using the command;
    cp /mnt/floppy/etc/* /etc/
    There are several different terminal emulations. Which one do I want?
    Which partition do I need to make writeable? (eg HDA1,HDA2 etc)
    The above command copies the profile to /etc.
    How do I enable this profile to overwrite the existing profile?

    The next commands are:

    mkdir /lincardemu
    chmod 777 /lincardemu
    gzip -d -c /mnt/floppy/lce.gz > /lincardemu/lce
    cp /mnt/floppy/lce/* /lincardemu/
    cp /mnt/floppy/loaf.txt /lincardemu/loaf.txt

    Will I have sufficient write access to carry these out?

    I am using USB serial interface (Pl2303) instead of the normal serial interface. In the config file will I need to change the statements
    "xdev = /dev/ttyS0" for it to recognise the serial port coming via the USB socket?


    Any help appreciated.

Similar Threads

  1. Mounting Existing Linux Partitions
    By lilpaul in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-17-2004, 11:41 AM
  2. Use Knoppix to install pkgs. on existing debian-based Linux?
    By mmw1231 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2004, 02:18 AM
  3. need to add new files to existing live linux cdom.
    By justmyskin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 12:16 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 08:54 AM
  5. hd install on existing linux box
    By bactram in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2003, 04:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M2 8-Core 16GB 512GB SCREEN ISSUE

$774.99



Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900 SRG18 3.10GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$177.21



Dell - XPS 13.4

Dell - XPS 13.4" 3K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 5 Series 3 320 2026 - 8GB...

$599.99



AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF

$435.99



Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151) picture

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake 8-Core, 16-Thread, 3.6 GHz (LGA 1151)

$189.99



AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD 4.2 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Boost) AM5 UNLOCKED picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 7800X3D 8-CORE 16-THREAD 4.2 GHz (5.0 GHz Max Boost) AM5 UNLOCKED

$300.00



Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro

$339.00



Apple Macbook Pro 13

Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 8GB 256GB BATTERY ISSUE

$454.99