Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: What to reinstall and how? User can't get past Login.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19

    What to reinstall and how? User can't get past Login.

    I have a "beginner HD install" and after several lockups, my config is a mess. It boots to the KDE Login screen, where root and two user accounts are listed. Either user account loops back to this screen. root can login and the session is restored, but the icons bounce much longer than originally. I was able to use UserManager to create the second user account when I lost access to the first user account, but second user has never been able to login.
    I cannot boot from Knoppix 3.6 CD because I get a scrolling list of errors. I had to go back to 3.3 or 3.4 CD to run.

    My intent (for the HD install) was to get a faster bootup. What is the easiest way to get well?

    When my system freezes, the keyboard is dead. CapsLock and NumLock lights remain on or off as they were when everything stopped responding. None of the suggested ways to kill the session were available except the power switch. These freezes have frequently cause it to boot to a command line rather than a GUI.
    NEW info: From console, startx gets a line:
    "error loading keymap /var/tmp/server-0.XKM
    Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap"
    Would this be related to the way that the keyboard freezes??

    Any help would be appreciated!

    Dad

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    200
    I would urge you to try 3.7. It's got a lot of improvements over 3.6

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    19

    How do I allocate more space to /home? grow a partition?

    From "Login at Box" I selected the console login (as user) and after succesful login, " startx"
    now I see " /usr/x11r6/bin/startx: line132: cannot create temp file for here document: no space left on device"
    My last download of a LiveCD iso failed for not enuf space. Home appears to be 3.8GB, I still have an unused 10GB of FAT32 in hda6, but I cannot grow hda2, my primary ext2 partition, with QTParted.

Similar Threads

  1. recover automatic login as Knoppix user
    By trubadix in forum German Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 07:46 PM
  2. X login screen loops - Only one user shows
    By swiftnewzealand in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 08:03 PM
  3. Did an upgrade and changed to GDM now user can't login.
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2004, 10:14 AM
  4. Can not login as a regular user....forced to use ROOT
    By Orion Pax in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2004, 01:50 PM
  5. login problem for user accounts other than root
    By knoppix-noob in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 09:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99