I have the same problem when boot from a 3.8.1 HD install, I follow the same procedure as I did with 3.7, and I install to a standalone HD not shared with Win.
I have the same problem when boot from a 3.8.1 HD install, I follow the same procedure as I did with 3.7, and I install to a standalone HD not shared with Win.

Vintage DEC Digital Equipment Flip-Chip Module Lot Parts
$59.99
Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00
Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$109.99
Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99
DEC Digital DECmate III PC238 PDP-8 6120 RX50 Dual Floppy Vintage Computer
$649.95
Vintage DEC Digital Equipment DELNI 8-Port Ethernet Local Network Hub VAXstation
$79.95
Vintage DEC Digital VR319-DA 19" High Resolution Monochrome CRT Monitor TESTED
$399.99
Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99
Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99
Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99