Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: dodgy adsl setup

  1. #1

    dodgy adsl setup

    hey, I'm having a weird problem with my modem. It used to work fine, but I was tweaking the etc/init.d/rc file, and now weird things are happening. Every time I boot up, Knoppix detects my adsl modem on eth0. Then I get a message: "starting ppp services". Once I get into knoppix, I can't access the internet (The website could not be found), although ping and ifconfig indicate that eh0 seems to work, no problem. So I have to run the ADSL/PPPOE configuration tool in the KNOPPIX menu on the taskbar in order to get the modem to work.

    I used to be able to use the internet from bootup, without having to run pppoeconf, but now it's not the same. Plus, I never used to get the "starting ppp services" thing at boot up. Any ideas how to fix this?

  2. #2
    I'm thinking it's something to do with the fact that my dsl-provider script is not being loaded at bootup. Any ideas?

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: dodgy adsl setup

    Quote Originally Posted by doesnotcompute
    ....Knoppix detects my adsl modem on eth0. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by doesnotcompute
    I'm thinking it's something to do with the fact that my dsl-provider script is not being loaded at bootup. Any ideas?
    But I doubt that the script ever was being loaded by Knopix, so how could it be that you say it used to work?

    You might want to tell people what modem you are using, it makes a big difference.

    If you are not already using a modem with a built-in router, here my idea. Get a very inexpensive DSL/Cable router (frequently $10 US or less after rebate). This will take care of PPPoE and all of the stuff that your provider script does, you just boot Knoppix (or Windows) and get assigned a local IP address by the router. It all works. No scripts or PPPoE or logging in under Knoppix or under Windows. Plus you have the basis of a local network if you ever add another computer (all can use the Internet at the same time) and you have the safety of a hardware firewall protecting you from the Internet (I would never use Windows on a high speed connection without one).

  4. #4
    When i say "it used to work", I mean "it used to work before I started messing around with the /etc/init.d/rc script". It's a Netopia Cayman 3000 Series modem. It's definitley not a problem with the modem, because I'm in knoppix right now, connected to the internet using the modem. But every time I boot to my HDD-install of Knoppix, I have to type in either "pon dsl-provider" or "pppoeconf" to enable my internet connection, which I find really annoying.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by doesnotcompute
    When i say "it used to work", I mean "it used to work before I started messing around with the /etc/init.d/rc script". It's a Netopia Cayman 3000 Series modem. It's definitley not a problem with the modem, because I'm in knoppix right now, connected to the internet using the modem. But every time I boot to my HDD-install of Knoppix, I have to type in either "pon dsl-provider" or "pppoeconf" to enable my internet connection, which I find really annoying.
    Oh, well what else is new? Just another case of "the network used to work when I ran from CD but stopped working after I installed to hard disk". You might want to look in the hdd forum, it been discussed over and over again. And I think you should have posted this in the hdd forum.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Belgrade, YU
    Posts
    334
    But every time I boot to my HDD-install of Knoppix, I have to type in either "pon dsl-provider" or "pppoeconf" to enable my internet connection, which I find really annoying.
    I know this situatiion. I went to /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider and made some changes, nothing special - I am sure you will understand what to do, now ADSL starts on boot. I start Firefox and I am on net, no more "pon.....".

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 08:01 PM
  2. Can i use a 2 cd setup?
    By mrdivad in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-22-2006, 03:26 PM
  3. USB adsl modem setup with live CD
    By david_l in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 04:50 PM
  4. Lilo setup improperly on multi-hard drive setup, how to fix?
    By Kethinov in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:23 PM
  5. How to setup ADSL connection
    By satimis in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 08:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$199.99



Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance

$20.25



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Unfi Security Gateway Pro picture

Unfi Security Gateway Pro

$170.00