Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Install XP after Knoppix - LILO problem

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11

    Install XP after Knoppix - LILO problem

    I am a new user to Knoppix. I have been running Windows XP for a couple of years now, but I started having so much trouble with updates and such that I decided to try Linux. My brother, who is also semi-new to Linux helped me install Knoppix and Lilo so that I could boot Windows XP or Knoppix. I have two a 40GB hard drive that has 4 partitions (each 10GB). The first partition is Windows XP and the second is Knoppix. The third and fourth are just storage.

    I've pretty much been using Knoppix full time, but I have a couple of programs in Windows that I need to use and I haven't found replacements for them in Knoppix, so when my Windows XP load ended up having several bugs, I decided to reformat that partition and reload XP.

    Of course, when I did that, the MBR got messed up and now I can't get back in to Linux. I used the Live CD to boot into Knoppix and I used a terminal window to bring Lilo back up. Now Lilo is coming up properly and I can select either system, but Linux won't boot properly. It seems to have trouble finding the right place to load from. It starts to mount the drives, but then throws a "kernel panic" error and says something about failing to find the init file.

    I read another forum discussion where someone said you could reload LILO from the HD install by using the Live CD and booting with the following code:

    Knoppix lang=us root=/dev/hdaX noinit ro

    I tried this, but it said:

    fsck.ext3: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/hda8

    Now, it is probably important to mention that before my Windows reload, Knoppix was mounted in such a way that it was on hda8. After my windows reload, when I booted with the Live CD, I could see that Knoppix was on hda6. So when I restored Lilo I used root=/dev/hda6.

    Could the drive numbering be the problem? It used to be hda8 and now it is hda6? I don't know how to fix it. Can someone help me?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Did you change /etc/fstab on the hdinstall to mount / at the new partition?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11
    No, can you explain?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, for instance the following line in my /etc/fstab tells my system to find and mount the root partition on hdb1:
    /dev/hdb1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    If you have / and under it /boot on hda8 and it's looking for them in hda6 the kernel nor any system file for that matter is found. If you have more partitions like /home you will need to change them also.
    This page is better at explaining fstab: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fstab

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11
    I managed to edit fstab and get LILO back to working! Now my only problem is that the partition file structure seems to be messed up. I can read everything in Linux, but I can't run qtparted because it throws errors in analyzing hda. Also, I noticed under disk management in Windows XP that the partition structure is messed up and I can only read 2 out of 3 logical drives. Is there a way to rebuild that system? I already tried running gpart and it threw errors while trying to guess the structure.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    How exactly did you remove 2 partitions. Or did you remove them or did they just disappear?

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11
    I didn't remove 2 partitions. They just got screwed up somehow.

    ** Original drive partitons
    Active - Disk1Part1
    Logical - Disk1Part2
    Logical - Disk1Part3
    Logical - Disk1Part4

    ** Before XP Install:

    XP Disk Management showed (40GB)
    Active - Disk1Part1 10GB (Healthy, FAT32) - This was Windows
    Logical - 512MB (Healthy, Unknown) - This was my swap partition for Linux
    Logical - 9GB (Healthy, Unknown) - Knoppix HD Install
    Logical - Disk1Part3 10GB (Healthy, FAT32)
    Logical - Disk1Part4 10GB (Healthy, FAT32)

    Linux had the following:
    hda1 - Windows
    hda5 - Swap? (can't remember)
    hda6
    hda7
    hda8 - Knoppix HD Install

    ** After XP reload

    Windows disk management shows:
    Active - Disk1Part1 10GB (Healthy, FAT32) - New XP load
    Logical - 512MB (Healthy, Unknown) - This was my swap partition for Linux
    Logical - 9GB (Healthy, Unknown) - Knoppix HD Install
    Logical - 10GB (Free Space) - don't know where this came from
    Active - 10GB (Healthy, Unknown) - don't know why 3rd partition disappeared
    Logical - Disk1Part4 10GB(Healthy, FAT32)
    Logical - 10GB (Unallocated) - don't know where this came from

    Linux had the following:
    hda1 - Windows
    hda3
    hda6 - Knoppix HD Install
    hda7


    As you can see, it's pretty messed up. Windows disk management shows a total of almost 60GB, but it's only a 40GB hard drive.

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    11
    Believe it or not, I can actually read all of my drives in Linux now, but when I run qtparted it says:

    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    Xlib: No protocol specified
    qtparted: cannot connect to X server :0.0

    Windows XP disk management still shows the same thing I described above.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    I know way too little about XP's partitioning tools to tell you how to fix it.

    The Xlib thingy I can OTOH fix. You probably tried to run qtparted as root when you got the error. A couple of ways to avoid it:
    -As user do in a konsole kdesu qtparted
    -As root do in a konsole export DISPLAY=:0.0 and then run qtparted
    -Run qtparted from the menu, it should ask for a root pass.
    This of course requires you to be running X in the first place.

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    27
    *bump*

    its best if u install xp first then knoppix. It is always gana be windows first then other Os's such as knoppix. windows hates to be second best so it gets angry when u deside it needs to be second in line... just my 2 cents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HD DVD-install problem: LILO refuses to install
    By fadeh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2005, 04:51 PM
  2. Problem with LILO after install knoppix 3.6 to harddrive
    By lewisdw in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-14-2004, 02:10 PM
  3. 3.6 hdd install lilo problem solved
    By eludom in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 12:21 AM
  4. Knoppix 3.4 HD install LiLO problem ...
    By Calvi Risorta in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 07:44 PM
  5. HDD install problem - Error 0x07 using LILO from boot disk
    By bbouton in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 03:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95