Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: knoppix won't boot graphically from hard disk

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    14

    knoppix won't boot graphically from hard disk

    I left knoppix running over night and the screen saver was activated and put the video signal on standby, (my monitor has a little light that says if there is a video signal).

    Then I tried to move my mouse and keyboard to deactivate the screen saver, since the screen was completely blank (black). This didn't work, so I had to reboot the machine without shutting down by using the reset switch on the computer.

    I then had a message on reboot to use fsck manually. I rebooted the machine with knoppix cd and I entered the follwoing command:

    fsck.ext3 /dev/hda4

    after about an hour the machine completed this command operation. I then rebooted and everything was back to normal.

    I then left the computer for 5 minutes and the screen went blank again with the video signal on standby. I couldn't disable this and return to the display by moving my mouse and keyboard.

    I had to reboot again without shutting down by pressing the reset switch, again.

    I tried to perform fsck with the knoppix CD again but this time it completed without spending any time in the process.
    I then rebooted and to my surprise, I was in console mode. So, now, knoppix no longer boots graphically.

    How do I fix both of these problems. First, booting in graphical mode. Second, how do I setup the screen saver so that it doesn't disable the video completely to the point that I can't return to a session?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    This is from the bottom of the page of the knoppix cheatcodes:

    " Caution: X-Screensaver: Don't start xlock or any screensaver that
    requires a password. There are no default passwords on KNOPPIX,
    i.e. all accounts are LOCKED unless you explicitly set a password.
    See also README_Security.txt about this issue.
    If you accidentially hit the screensaver button in KDE,
    switch to one of the textconsoles by Control-Alt-F1 and kill
    the screensaver (or just set a password for the knoppix user).

    If you would like to edit your X-Server configuration manually
    (/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 for XFree86 V4.x), use "knoppix 2" to boot
    into runlevel 2 (textmode only) and, after changing the X
    configuration, start the X environment with "init 5". Note that
    you can always leave the graphical environment with "init 2", and
    restart it later with "init 5"."

    I included the 2nd paragraph because you may need to redo your xserver.
    Perhaps somehow you set a lock on the desktop/screensaver and that's why the mouse doesn't
    bring back your desktop. It's my best guess. Read that 2nd paragraph to restart x or do "startx"
    Good luck.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    27
    jariep,

    Hope this works for you but I did something similar to this....

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17647


    I worked on this in a follow up post (3rd one).

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 02:32 PM
  2. Iso Hard disk boot 3.8.1
    By vegetto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 12:40 AM
  3. Getting Knoppix to boot off a USB Hard Disk
    By Crenn in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 11:02 PM
  4. Can I use Lilo to boot knoppix from hard disk ??
    By fm78 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-13-2003, 09:44 AM
  5. 2 hard disk installation won't boot to knoppix
    By bret in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 07:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop picture

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop

$40.00



Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250

$25.99