-
Junior Member
registered user
DVD drive scratches disks after using knoppix.
I recently decided to try out linux for the first time and asked a friend of mine what would be best for new users. He told me about knoppix.I went to knoppix.org and downloaded version 3.3 on accident.The first time it started everything went very smooth but when I tryed to exit being the complete newbie I must of done something wrong. Knoppix locked up and I couldn't do anything so I restart my computer. I took out the disk and loaded up windows xp pro to make sure nothing was damaged and it appeared nothing was. So I put my knoppix disk back in and but when it started I heard the weirest noise coming from my dvd drive. Knoppix loaded very slowly and the noises continued so I immeadiatly restarted. I took out my knoppix disk and noticed circular scratches all over the disk. I tryed putting in a dvd once windows had loaded and logged into my user name to make sure nothing was wrong but It wouldn't load.I took the disk out and noticed the same scratches. I then tryed another dvd and it loaded but the movie was skipping. I took the dvd out and the same scratches. I tryed a music disk and got the same thing. It doesn't make the strange sound it made when it scratched up the knoppix disc though. My current dvd drive is a Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-117(the computer is custom built but the dvd drive is one from my old compaq.)..
-
Senior Member
registered user
the DVDdrive has failed, it is most likely broken or somehting is stuck in the guides.
this is a hardware problem NOT depending on Knoppix, could have happened while you watched a film....
PROCEDURE BELOW IS NOT RECOMENDED BY ME! or any one else.
PROCEDURE BELOW IS NOT RECOMENDED BY ME! or anyone else.
if you take the dvddrive apart you MIGHT fins somehting stuck in the drive but getting it out and the DVD back together is NO easy (99% chance it is broken permanently, by you, after that).
doing this is more of an autopsy to make cause of death known.
I am truly sorry for you, but cd and dvd drives ALL fail sooner or later.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thank you much. I pretty much knew it wasn't Knoppix that ruined it, It was just a family member of mine who thinks they know more about computers than me(the most they have done with a computer is installed windows XP!)that thought knoppix ruined our dvd drive and I needed to prove that it wasn't so I could get a new dvd drive. Strange though cause it can read dvd movies and run normal disks it just scratches them badly.
Thank you very much for your help.
-
Senior Member
registered user
if the "guides" are out of line by just a TINY amount (less than thickness of human hair) things can get scratches.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: DVD drive scratches disks after using knoppix.

Originally Posted by
Kiniyen
DVD drive scratches disks after using knoppix..
Post hoc ergo propter hoc
Similar Threads
-
By pepesz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-17-2004, 04:35 AM
-
By bftet in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 03:02 AM
-
By xbenchman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-07-2003, 08:37 PM
-
By law_student in forum Ideas
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-22-2003, 07:19 AM
-
By sireasoning in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 01-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99

Crucial 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200 SO-DIMM 260-Pin CL22 CT16G4SFS832A.C8FB
$124.99

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix
$66.00

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

ADATA XPG Lancer Blade RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Desktop RAM Black
$429.94

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

NEW IN BOX - Corsair Vengeance RGB 32gb (2x16gb) DDR6200 CL36 CMH32GX5M2B6200C3
$550.00

Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00