Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: DVD drive scratches disks after using knoppix.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13

    DVD drive scratches disks after using knoppix.

    I recently decided to try out linux for the first time and asked a friend of mine what would be best for new users. He told me about knoppix.I went to knoppix.org and downloaded version 3.3 on accident.The first time it started everything went very smooth but when I tryed to exit being the complete newbie I must of done something wrong. Knoppix locked up and I couldn't do anything so I restart my computer. I took out the disk and loaded up windows xp pro to make sure nothing was damaged and it appeared nothing was. So I put my knoppix disk back in and but when it started I heard the weirest noise coming from my dvd drive. Knoppix loaded very slowly and the noises continued so I immeadiatly restarted. I took out my knoppix disk and noticed circular scratches all over the disk. I tryed putting in a dvd once windows had loaded and logged into my user name to make sure nothing was wrong but It wouldn't load.I took the disk out and noticed the same scratches. I then tryed another dvd and it loaded but the movie was skipping. I took the dvd out and the same scratches. I tryed a music disk and got the same thing. It doesn't make the strange sound it made when it scratched up the knoppix disc though. My current dvd drive is a Compaq DVD-ROM DVD-117(the computer is custom built but the dvd drive is one from my old compaq.)..

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    the DVDdrive has failed, it is most likely broken or somehting is stuck in the guides.
    this is a hardware problem NOT depending on Knoppix, could have happened while you watched a film....

    PROCEDURE BELOW IS NOT RECOMENDED BY ME! or any one else.
    PROCEDURE BELOW IS NOT RECOMENDED BY ME! or anyone else.

    if you take the dvddrive apart you MIGHT fins somehting stuck in the drive but getting it out and the DVD back together is NO easy (99% chance it is broken permanently, by you, after that).
    doing this is more of an autopsy to make cause of death known.

    I am truly sorry for you, but cd and dvd drives ALL fail sooner or later.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    13
    Thank you much. I pretty much knew it wasn't Knoppix that ruined it, It was just a family member of mine who thinks they know more about computers than me(the most they have done with a computer is installed windows XP!)that thought knoppix ruined our dvd drive and I needed to prove that it wasn't so I could get a new dvd drive. Strange though cause it can read dvd movies and run normal disks it just scratches them badly.

    Thank you very much for your help.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    if the "guides" are out of line by just a TINY amount (less than thickness of human hair) things can get scratches.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: DVD drive scratches disks after using knoppix.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiniyen
    DVD drive scratches disks after using knoppix..
    Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Similar Threads

  1. knoppix can't see the disks connected to promise ultra100tx2
    By pepesz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2004, 04:35 AM
  2. Boot Disks
    By bftet in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-17-2004, 03:02 AM
  3. 2 hard disks - how to do it
    By xbenchman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 08:37 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 07:19 AM
  5. how to get lvm disks to work?
    By sireasoning in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-25-2003, 10:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



2X - SK Hynix 8GB (16GB) 2Rx8 PC4 2133P ECC HMA41GR7AFR8N-TF Server Memory RAM picture

2X - SK Hynix 8GB (16GB) 2Rx8 PC4 2133P ECC HMA41GR7AFR8N-TF Server Memory RAM

$61.95



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00



LOT OF 2  SK Hynix 8GB  1Rx8 PC4-3200AA ECC  HMA81GR7CJR8N-XN picture

LOT OF 2 SK Hynix 8GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA ECC HMA81GR7CJR8N-XN

$89.95



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Lot of 32 IBM 32GB SERVER MEMORY MT80KHF4G72M3DZ-1G6E4B50A 00LP736 4Gx72 = DW picture

Lot of 32 IBM 32GB SERVER MEMORY MT80KHF4G72M3DZ-1G6E4B50A 00LP736 4Gx72 = DW

$17000.00



Micron 64GB 4DRX4 PC4-2400T-LE2-11 MTA72ASS8G72LZ-2G3B2MG DDR4 Server RAM KD313 picture

Micron 64GB 4DRX4 PC4-2400T-LE2-11 MTA72ASS8G72LZ-2G3B2MG DDR4 Server RAM KD313

$229.98



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram picture

Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram

$960.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98