Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Can't get my sound to work

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24

    Can't get my sound to work

    Alright, I installed Knoppix on my hard drive, and my sound just doesn't work. I have no sound icon in the system tray, and every time I open sound in xmms or something it gets further in the sound, but I hear nothing.

    I've gone into the KDE Control center and turned sound on, and still nothing. Then I tried adding append="alsa" to lilo.conf, then rerunning it, then editing xmms to run with alsa not oss, and still nothing.

    I'm using an AC'97 soundcard. And I'm pretty sure my soundcard doesn't error or anything at startup, because I see no error message or anything. And I'm not hearing static, just nothing at all. I've looked through tons of other sound topics and I couldn't find anything.

    Help? @_@

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    9

    try this...

    First off ...you can find the mixer (the speaker icon that comesup in the taksbar) in the Kmenu under "multimedia" and it's called "kmix". when you bring that up if it looks normal-everything should be good....click on it and turn up all the volumes until you hear something....if there's an X through it you may need to do a bit more....you sould try to add the correct driver to you append line like:
    append="alsa=intel8x0"
    (I have the same soundcard ....ac'97....and thats what I have)

    still no luck??....you could then try to recompile the alsa modules
    1) "su" to root
    2) "apt-get update"
    3) "apt-get install module-assistant"
    4) "module-assistant"
    5) from the menu choose "UPDATE" then "PREPARE" then "SELECT"
    6) check "ALSA"
    7) from the new menu select "GET" then "BUILD" then "INSTALL"

    reboot and cross one set of fingers

    just some ideas

    Cheers
    Eugene
    ----------------
    noob
    ----------------

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    What kernel are you running? Which Knoppix version?

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    24
    Thanks, I'm on Windows right now so I'll post if that all worked once I get on Konppix. I'm running 3.7 with 2.4.27 kernal. I'm going to upgrade to 3.8 soon.

Similar Threads

  1. Trying to get sound to work (AAAARRRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!)
    By bigrobot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 02:01 PM
  2. cannot get sound to work
    By rchinnock88 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-10-2004, 06:16 PM
  3. Why won't my sound work?
    By b_rimes in forum General Support
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-04-2004, 02:57 PM
  4. Sound does not work
    By Chris Lee in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 12:20 AM
  5. sound doesnt work
    By sweeper in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 03:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250

$25.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$75.99