--You'll see the difference when you do the hdparm tests. My 40- and 80-gig IDE drives are faster than my 68-pin SCSI drives(!) Swap is one thing that you want FAST access to, as it is substituting for RAM. Always place your swap on your FASTEST drives.

( /me has his own dark opinions of WD, but chooses to withhold them at this time. )

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb
That's a good point, though, it's a Western Digital Caviar, not a cheap piece of junk. And the seek times are realy quite low considering.

I also have a 1995 1GB maxtor, a 1992 500MB Maxtor, and a 1995 1.28GB WD Caviar drive. Would one of those be better to use if I realy wan't my swap on a seperate controller? (whitch I do)

I was thinking about using the 1.2 caviar, but it's litle big for a swap drive. (Perfect size for Windows 95 though) And I'm a litle apprehensive about using an older maxtor.

By the way, if anybody wants one I'll sell it cheap, (shipping will be a lot though unless you are in the Salem, OR area.)