I have a 40Gb USB Firelite drive with two equal partitions. Is it possible to install Knoppix to this drive so that I can use it on several machines? If it is possible how would I go about doing it.
I have a 40Gb USB Firelite drive with two equal partitions. Is it possible to install Knoppix to this drive so that I can use it on several machines? If it is possible how would I go about doing it.
look how they do it to a usbpen, as far as Linux is concerned they are (near) the same.
you can boot from a CD and use the usbdrive as a permanent home. and save configs and files to it
llok on poormans install and permanent home in the wiki
here are a few links
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/USB_Based_FAQ
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Poor_Mans_Install
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Basic_Poor_Mans
http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=64999
A problem I came across with using an external HD was that not all drives can boot from USB. If you haven't already you'll want to make sure yours can before you continue.

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$8.00
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.75