Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Make your knoppix multi-user without installing to hard drv

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    86

    Make your knoppix multi-user without installing to hard drv

    A few days ago I wrote a couple of scripts to enable thin-client X terminals to connect to a knoppix server. A side benefit of the scripts is that it gives you the ability to create a multi-user environment like you would have on a regular hard drive install. This can be useful if you want to have multiple users ssh into the server with their own usernames/passwords, having their own home directories, etc, etc. It even gives you the ability to backup and restore these settings on subsequent reboots. And you don't even have to remaster the CD, these scripts have been tested with the plain Knoppix3.2 03_30 version with no changes. Make a scripts directory in the knoppix directory and put these 3 scripts in there.

    Here is the script to enable creation of users:
    #!/bin/bash
    cp /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess /ramdisk
    cp /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc /ramdisk
    rm -r /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess
    rm -r /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
    sed 's/^#\*/\*/g' < /ramdisk/Xaccess > /ramdisk/Xaccess1
    mv -f /ramdisk/Xaccess1 /ramdisk/Xaccess
    sed 's/^Enable=false/Enable=true/g' < /ramdisk/kdmrc > /ramdisk/kdmrc1
    mv -f /ramdisk/kdmrc1 /ramdisk/kdmrc
    ln -s /ramdisk/Xaccess /etc/kde3/kdm/Xaccess
    ln -s /ramdisk/kdmrc /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc
    /etc/init.d/kdm start
    cp /etc/gshadow /etc/gshadow1
    mv -f /etc/gshadow1 /etc/gshadow
    while [ "$usr" != none ]
    do
    echo To add users enter username or press enter to quit adding users
    read usr
    if [ "$usr" != "" ]
    then
    adduser $usr
    rm /home/$usr/* -rf
    rm /home/$usr/.* -rf
    else
    usr="none"
    fi
    done



    To save the contents of the user homedirs and the usernames/passwords run this script:

    #!/bin/bash
    tar -cvvf /home/knoppix/tcph.tar /home/* /etc/passwd /etc/shadow /etc/group /etc/gshadow --exclude /home/knoppix
    gzip /home/knoppix/tcph.tar
    chown knoppix.knoppix /home/knoppix/tcph.tar.gz


    The second line is long and may span two lines on the display, make sure it is entered as is with no carriage returns. (Line 3 starts with the word gzip)

    The script to restore is as follows:

    #!/bin/bash
    cd /
    tar xfvz /home/knoppix/tcph.tar.gz


    These last two scripts save/restore using a file called tcph.tar.gz in the knoppix directory. Since this file is is in the knoppix directory it will also get saved through the regular knoppix save-configuration or persistent home scripts of the knoppix user so you'll have it handy next time you want to restore the multi-user function.

    The basic usage scenario is like this:
    a) Run script one, create users
    b) use the system to your heart's content
    c) before shutting down, run script two and then run the regular knoppix "save configuration" script

    On a reboot to recreate all the usernames, home directories and passwords:
    d) boot with myconfig=scan cheatcode or similar
    e) run script one but don't create any users
    f) run script three

    Thats it! At this point you'll be exactly as you left off at point c above with all the home directories, files, passwords restored.

    Any questions, feel free to ask me.

    regards,
    Jim

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I am using knoppix 3.1-1-20 since on my old hardware it is much faster and does everything I need, so I changed your first kdm script slightly, I have it ask for root and knoppix passwords and put the script on my partition where my persistent home is located. I have the persistent home knoppix.sh on a floppy and I added a line at the end of the knoppix.sh that calls the kdm script. the only problem I've run into is with the 3.1 persistent home I can only save user knoppix's home but that's OK with me.

    this is sweet!

    rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2
    Question: What I want is to unable Windows machines running some x-server software like ReflectionX to be able to connect and login to the Knoppix box (boot from the CD). The best solution would be to enable XDM so I don't need to know the IP of the Knoppix machine (a broadcast will show all x-clients, in this case the Knoppix box, that are running on the subnet.

    Tried with your scripts but it doesn't seem to do what I want. Any ideas? If possible, I would like to config it to enable access to all workstations on a given subnet, something like 192.168.*.*.

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. How to Use Sessions , in Multi User Environment.
    By your_raj in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 12:02 PM
  2. HowTo: Make a CD which boots into multi screen environment
    By mathis in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2004, 04:27 PM
  3. Make new user with same configs as current user?
    By SunnyB in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-09-2004, 02:02 PM
  4. Installing on multi-partitioned machine.
    By Kaldrenon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 12:44 AM
  5. Knoppix on a hard drive - how to create new user
    By Earl Gibbs in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2003, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$345.00



MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800 picture

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800

$189.95



Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems picture

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems

$245.00



MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer picture

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer

$2550.00



​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested picture

​SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested

$119.99



MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board picture

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board

$675.00



Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI picture

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI

$150.00



S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI) picture

S-100 Vector Graphic 64K Ram Board (Altair, IMSAI)

$99.95



CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair picture

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair

$29.99



ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute picture

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute

$99.00