Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: USB Optical Mouse not detected/working

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    44

    USB Optical Mouse not detected/working

    Hey. I finally got fed up with my crappy PS/2 optical mouse i've been using here, so I went out and bought the cheapest piece of crap USB mouse i could find (I'm funny like that)

    Unfortunately, I can't get it to work on my hdd install of knoppix (Don't know if it works on LiveCD. Didn't feel like rebooting and killing my 4 weeks of uptime to find out)
    I've restarted X, I've run mouseconfig, selected USB, (Now, I'm not sure if it's actually being detected. On the next screen I see 'Microsoft optical mouse', which is what I have, but it looks alltogether too vague to be sure.) Select microsoft USB mouse, hit Ok. Nothing. done this several times, tried several different approaches. If I use my USB->PS/2 adapter it works fine (But my laptop doesn't like me using a mouse in PS/2....It conflicts with other hardware so I usually have to wait a few seconds before the mouse will even move)

    Is there some trick to getting it working?

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: USB Optical Mouse not detected/working

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadda
    Unfortunately, I can't get it to work on my hdd install of knoppix (Don't know if it works on LiveCD. Didn't feel like rebooting and killing my 4 weeks of uptime to find out)
    So you changed mice and complained here even though didn't reboot and let Knoppix detect your new type of mouse?

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    44
    Shouldn't need to reboot, no. I re-ran all the autoconfigure stuff, looked around at USB drivers, and restarted X (and X is what uses the mouse driver, no?)

    I've run several "mouse utilities" too, and googled + searched this forum.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    44
    Just rebooted, and no, Still no support.

    *walks off mumbling about his poor uptime*

    EDIT: I've also tried manually editing my X86Config file, under input devices, but had no luck with that either.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadda
    Just rebooted, and no, Still no support.

    *walks off mumbling about his poor uptime*

    EDIT: I've also tried manually editing my X86Config file, under input devices, but had no luck with that either.
    Did you boot the Live CD (with the USB mouse in place at boot time), which you already pointed out would be the real test, or did you just reboot the "hard drive install" again?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    44
    Both.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadda
    Both.
    That's very strange, I've yet to find an optical mouse that Knoppix will not deal with, USB or PS2. I must have used at least 6 to 8 different USB mice with it. Did you happen to check if the optical rodent works with Windows? Perhaps it is broken.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    44
    Yeah, It works fine with windows, and was in fact just using this on my desktop in the other room. It's just a generic blue Microsoft USB PS/2 Compatible optical mouse.

  9. #9
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Do you have any other USB devices working on this computer when running Knoppix? Do you have a usb flash drive that you could plug in and confirm that the usb sub-system is working under Knoppix? Are you using any boot cheat codes that might impact the use of the usb mouse (like, oh, I don't know, .... nousb ?) Something very strange is going on here.

    I really doubt that the mouse being blue is a factor here.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    44
    Heh. The *name* of the mouse is 'blue'

    Nothing else plugged into USB at the moment, But I have also successfully gotten my USB keyboard working without any trouble (under knoppix). No usb flash drive, no. And no boot cheats. The only thing i used when installing knoppix was lang=us screen=1600x1200. That's it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Microsoft Wheel mouse optical USB not detected
    By keokeo in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 12:15 AM
  2. Optical mouse incorrectly detected
    By kim in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2004, 01:12 PM
  3. Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse (USB) detected, not working
    By sagipolley in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:40 PM
  4. Optical mouse
    By dsatkhan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-04-2004, 03:36 PM
  5. (SOLVED)USB MOUSE DETECTED DURING BOOT , NOT WORKING ON KDE
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2003, 06:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



B85M-G Motherboard Intel Core i7-4770 CPU LGA1150 mATX 4 DIMM IO Shield picture

B85M-G Motherboard Intel Core i7-4770 CPU LGA1150 mATX 4 DIMM IO Shield

$75.96