Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Etherboot not working

  1. #1
    dave
    Guest

    Etherboot not working

    Hey,

    I am really interested in using etherboot on my laptop. I set up the desktop OK and start the terminal server with all default options left as they are.

    When I turn on my laptop, it detects the server, detects the laptops NIC, configures it, mounts the "KNOPPIX CDROM image at 192.168.0.1/cdrom" fine. The next part, where it accesses the CDROM image, i get a message which says :

    nfs: server 192.168.0.1 not responding, still trying

    and there it stays!

    Any ideas?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Stonent
    Guest

    .

    I've seen that error before when trying to boot multiple network clients at once. In my case, it meant that the server could not keep up with the number of requests coming in. Is there any possibility to flip the two computers around and use the other one for the boot server and the other for the client?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3

    network booting

    I would be interested in detailed info on booting from a network. I ahve a lot of old computers with limited hard drive space and no cd rom. Is it possible to bot from a network drive?

    rbsee

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    rbsee

    As far as old computers, memory and video are as much of a problem as hd space.

    Knoppix supports remote-terminal logins (enable remote-terminal on your knoppix computer and then boot with network boot disks or bootable network cards on your remote computers), but this requires enough memory on each computer to run knoppix.

    One thing that you could do with older computers is if they have good enough video cards is use them for X-terminals and boot into a computer functioning as the server. For example on my main home computer I have a full debian install with gdm (gnome display manager) configured to allow remote logins. So from my P-150 (w/ 32mb and a hd with a linux swap I can start with: knoppix 2) in console mode as root I can connect to my 'X-window server computer' with a command like:
    X -query 192.168.1.8
    I get the login screen from my main computer and log in and run the desktop environment (or window manager) and apps installed on that computer. Note: for best results all screen resolutions must be the same. I have a 17" monitor (running at 1024x76 on my main computer and only have a 14" monitor (running at 800x600) on my p-150 so I have a user that I use when I login remotely, I don't use my 'normal' user.

    A friend has been running his business with this approach for several years. He has 6 or 7 X-terminals that log into his servers. Up until recently he was using 486's with 8 to 16mb of ram for his X-terms, running old Slackware installs that used about 150MB of hard drive space. Just recently he picked some used pentium 166 to 200 Mhz computers with 32mb of ram, his new linux installs (he wanted ext3 filesystem) will easily fit on a 400+mb hd. The main reason he upgraded was to have systems with ps/2 mice and be able to run at 1024x768 at 16ppb. IIRC you need 2mb of video ram to run 1024x768 at 16ppb.

    If you have any questions about running X-terminals and configuring gdm to allow remote login post back.

    HTH

    rock

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    3

    network boot

    RockMumbles: I would love to hear more about the things you are doing.


    Also, I am ready to try paring down the full Knoppix to something a little smaller. If you have more than the FAQ's I would love to see that also.



    rbsee

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    11

    p166

    how can I get my p166 to boot

    everytime i try it gives an error with kernel NULL as if it doesnt like the CPU

    is there a different kernel required than that in the latest release or is there something else

Similar Threads

  1. Creating modified etherboot.nbi?
    By bkw1a in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2007, 10:39 PM
  2. Just -can't- get Etherboot to work
    By Tec in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 04:56 PM
  3. KNOPPIX, now with etherboot!
    By eadz in forum News
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-26-2003, 04:04 AM
  4. Disable Etherboot
    By MaTh2k in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 10:28 AM
  5. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-11-2003, 05:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW picture

Lot of 4 Cisco CP-8841-3PW-NA-K9 8841 MPP Multiplatform VoIP IP Phone NEW

$450.00



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99