Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: CD-RW benefits over CD-R?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1

    CD-RW benefits over CD-R?

    i was reading through the FAQ, and it says to use CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs. I understand the difference, but my questions are, why, and if I use an -RW, I suppose I shouldn't finish the session, and can I make changes to the OS without having a writeable HD?

    Thanks!

    Trying to figure it out before I dl it. Looks great!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    To answer the why, when the new version is released there are usually some corrections made after release and new ISO's posted so if you use cdr then you have to burn each one if you want it with cdrw you just re-write it saves disks.

    If you use rw then you should just use the normal make disk from iso image option that you would normally use to burn a cdr.

    If by making changes to the OS means you want to install additional software no you will have to install to HD.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Is the any difference in burning on CD-RW than CD-R or I just reuse the CD-RW as a new blank disk ? In other words, do I need to give 'cdrecord' different parameters ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: CD-RW benefits over CD-R?

    Quote Originally Posted by kcbnac
    I shouldn't finish the session,
    Closing the session or 'fixating' is necessary for some cd players otherwise they can't read the disc. This is not usually a factor when using a cdrom. If you want a multi-session disc then do not fixate it. That is to say, if you want to add more tracks at a later time don't close the disc.

    Quote Originally Posted by kcbnac
    and can I make changes to the OS without having a writeable HD?
    As Stephen stated you will need to install Knoppix to your hard drive but to answer this particular question (if I understand you correctly) no, you cannot make changes to any drive that you do not have the ability to write to.

    Quote Originally Posted by garyng
    In other words, do I need to give 'cdrecord' different parameters ?
    Not that I know of.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    just reuse the CD-RW as a new blank disk ? In other words, do I need to give 'cdrecord' different parameters ?
    from man cdrecord...

    blank=type
    Blank a CD-RW and exit or blank a CD-RW before writing. The blanking type may be one of:

    help -- Display a list of possible blanking types.
    all -- Blank the entire disk. This may take a long time.
    fast -- Minimally blank the disk. This results in erasing the PMA, the TOC and the pregap.
    track -- Blank a track.
    unreserve -- Unreserve a reserved track.
    trtail -- Blank the tail of a track.
    unclose -- Unclose last session.
    session -- Blank the last session.

    HTH

    rock

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: CD-RW benefits over CD-R?

    --Please note, I have been keeping (loose) track - and only get 8-10 rewrites from name-brand CDRW's before they go bad (read errors.) This is Memorex 12x, mind you - and I take care to keep my media clean and in cases. CDR's seem to last longer in terms of being *usable*.

    --I use cdrecord's blank=all mode when rewriting, as well. Could be that the rw's are more sensitive because Knoppix is compressed, but that's just a guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by kcbnac
    i was reading through the FAQ, and it says to use CD-RWs instead of CD-Rs. I understand the difference, but my questions are, why, and if I use an -RW, I suppose I shouldn't finish the session, and can I make changes to the OS without having a writeable HD?

    Thanks!

    Trying to figure it out before I dl it. Looks great!

Similar Threads

  1. What are the benefits of a Linux-based System?
    By DiabloGN in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-19-2005, 06:22 AM
  2. what are the benefits of dhcp in a LAN?
    By user unknown in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-19-2004, 06:27 AM
  3. Benefits of improving compression?
    By jreiser in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 09:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$259.00



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5

Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250

$25.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99