Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Permission problem on my directory

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1

    Permission problem on my directory

    I am trying to save my files on a Linux file server that died. I've booted into Knoppix and set up my LAN settings. I can see the other servers that I want to copy files to. I can get onto the disk holding the files and can see the directories, but I can't get into them; Permssion Denied".

    I have set a root password for Knoppix and for SAMBA and tried to chgrp and chown the directory, but it won't allow me to do it.

    Any advice?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Permission problem on my directory

    --Don't use the GUI for stuff like this. Hit Ctrl-Alt-F1 and get to a root console, then I would recommend using ' mc '. Keep in touch.

    Quote Originally Posted by BDelph
    I am trying to save my files on a Linux file server that died. I've booted into Knoppix and set up my LAN settings. I can see the other servers that I want to copy files to. I can get onto the disk holding the files and can see the directories, but I can't get into them; Permssion Denied".

    I have set a root password for Knoppix and for SAMBA and tried to chgrp and chown the directory, but it won't allow me to do it.

    Any advice?

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Permission problem
    By satimis in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-06-2006, 08:26 PM
  2. Permission problem running a compiled C++ program
    By palmerac in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 09:00 AM
  3. permission problem, cannot login
    By jack-ren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 09:25 PM
  4. Mounting/Write-Permission problem.
    By Slay3r in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 11:45 PM
  5. Permission problem after installing OpenOffice binary
    By ezuk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 05:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1774.24



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$427.48



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



USB 3.2 Metal Flash Drive High Speed Portable USB Memory Stick 1TB 2TB 4TB picture

USB 3.2 Metal Flash Drive High Speed Portable USB Memory Stick 1TB 2TB 4TB

$22.15



Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 Internal SSD MZ-V8P1T0 EC picture

Samsung 980 PRO 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 Internal SSD MZ-V8P1T0 EC

$115.00



Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$461.10



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$288.98



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$15.99